i7 870 2.93 GHz 4 core (2010) vs new i5 ?

alias123

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
I'm looking to build a new PC. Right now I have a Dell xps 8100 and it hasn't given me any problems yet. Starting with a processor I would like something that can handle a lot of programs open at once and is a bit faster, not for gaming. I don't really want to spend the money on new i7. (I don't want a Dell this time). Could someone tell me if a new i5 (undecided which), would be a significant improvement over my old i7? And which i5 if you know. If you need more info pls let me know. Thanks

Solution
You have already 12GB RAM and you are mainly working only with Excel.
SSD is the best upgrade you can get without buying a new PC. (migrating/cloning is easy, no real need of new PSU too)
Yes, the SSD will be held back by the SATAII interface but it will still runa a lot faster than normal mechanical HDDs.
Your system will still run a lot more responsive with an SSD.
I have been using SSD since on my old Q6600. I upgraded my P8700 laptop with an SSD too. I know how it is like having an SSD.

Then again, excel works can benefit also from newer platform. It depends on how big and complex are your excell works (macros, etc.).
If you work with 14-16 huge excel/office files, each with tons of macros and VBA scripts. I think, new PC...

DasHotShot

Honorable
A new Skylake i5 6500 or 6600 would make for a noticeable improvement in general use situations, however we aren't necessarily talking day and night here.

If you're experiencing slow performance at the moment, consider things like RAM (Do you have 4GB or less?) and your OS "health" and "hygiene"...Is your antivirus up to date? Is your system free of malware (try malware bytes to check)? Something that can work wonders for removing clutter is CC cleaner https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Etc.

Not sure it's worth buying a new system for general use which is a snappier

What is the usage of your current i7 machine? AutoCAD? Video editing? Heavy script writting?
For only video playing, youtube, music, office and other daily stuffs, your current rig is still an overkill.
An upgrade (new PC) could however be necessary for heavy video/photo editing, CAD, etc.
We need better info on what you are doing with the PC, before we can start recommending stuffs to you.

There is also ways to upgrade your PC without getting the newer platform, like upgrading the RAM to at least 8GB, getting a new GPU, and adding an SSD. (GPU is not important since you do not game)
Reinstalling the windows or simply cleaning your Windows is also recommended. (registries, unneeded temp files, restore points, startup items, malwares, adwares, viruses, etc.)

alias123

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I have 12GB of ram. I read on the forum that there is a way to migrate my os (windows 10 upgrade) and the programs I use most to an ssd and keep my hdd for other stuff (movies, music and files mostly) do you think that would be a worth the money? My video card is fine so far (amd hd 5700) it runs my 2 monitors ok. power supply is only 350w though. mobo is sata 2 only but as i understand it sata 3 is backwards compatible with sata 2. Would the ssd make a difference with only the sata 2 connection?
As for my OS "health", no viruses that I've ever noticed, I use CCleaner at least once a day, for registry cleaner as well. Virus scanning i just use AVG Free. The most intense use comes from a day trading platform where I have 14-16 charts open at any given time.

alias123

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

I don't do any vid/photo editing either, some basic programming that doesn't affect the speed at all. I was wondering about migrating my os and commonly use programs to an ssd but my mobo is sata 2, so i'm not entirely sure how much it will help, i do like that idea though. The most intense use comes from a day trading platform where I have 14-16 charts open at any given time, along with other normal stuff, excel, word, chrome. My power supply is 350w so i might need to get a bigger one. Thanks

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Sata 2 is a huge bottlneck for SSDs, gets them stuck around 250mb/s

A modern system can use a m.2 nvme pci-e SSD hitting speeds of around 1500mb/s. Get everything running on that and you will see huge performance increase.

You have already 12GB RAM and you are mainly working only with Excel.
SSD is the best upgrade you can get without buying a new PC. (migrating/cloning is easy, no real need of new PSU too)
Yes, the SSD will be held back by the SATAII interface but it will still runa a lot faster than normal mechanical HDDs.
Your system will still run a lot more responsive with an SSD.
I have been using SSD since on my old Q6600. I upgraded my P8700 laptop with an SSD too. I know how it is like having an SSD.

Then again, excel works can benefit also from newer platform. It depends on how big and complex are your excell works (macros, etc.).
If you work with 14-16 huge excel/office files, each with tons of macros and VBA scripts. I think, new PC investment is also not a bad idea.

Here is the idea, get an SSD first and see if you like the upgrade. If you decided to upgrade for a new PC, you can still carry the SSD over to the new PC.

Solution

This. I put a SSD in a first-gen i7 laptop (also SATA 2) 2 years ago and haven't looked back. It felt like a totally new computer it was so snappy.

alias123

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Just wanted to say thank you to all who replied, it helped. I still like the idea of getting an ssd for OS and my day trading platform, that's where the charts come from not excel, on the ssd; and other non essential stuff on the hdd. As was said if I'm still not happy I can carry the ssd to a new build.