R9 390 is to hot?

Billiam123

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I just built my first PC everything seems to be working fine, But my Asus Radeon R9 390 8GB Strix Video Card seems to be running hotter then average. (It's not overclockable or anything like that so I dunno why its so hot.)

60~ on idle. (blank desktop or browsing internet on how to reduce GPU heat etc)
70~ When just watching a youtube video.
80-90 When playing games, (Ex:Far cry primal, Lichdom battle mage, Injustice gods among us, Warhammer Dawn of war 1 & 2, Doom open beta, HItman) pretty much any game I've tried.

The reason I choose a "Strix" video card was because it was meant to be "30% Cooler. 0dB Gaming" meaning if I hadn't got the "30% cooler" and got another graphics card I would be running at 86 idle, 100 while watching youtube and 115-130 while gaming? That doesn't seem right.

The 60~ idle I'm not so worried about and I don' think neither is the 70~ while watching youtube is a huge problem but 80-90 while playing any game (changing to the lowest settings in game doesn't seem to effect anything) concerns me not that it will blow up or start a fire or anything just that it will harm the lifespan of my GPU because a lot of posts I've read said to be concerns when it gets to 90 and gets pretty close to that consistently and the reason I bring up the idle and youtube temperatures because of the fact that it's higher then average seems to have some relation to the issue. (Not just higher while gaming but higher in general)

I opened up both sides of my case and it didn't really effect the temp (maybe few degrees) so I don't think it's a air flow issue. (Fairly spacious case with two 120mm fans with the intake blowing basically onto the graphics card)

I have setup a MSI afterburner custom fan setting to play at cooler temps which cools down about 10degrees but fans are pretty load and fast which I don't think is healthy for the lifespan either..

Is it like a option somewhere that's making it run hot that I can adjust or something like are there tips and tricks to make GPU's run cooler in general by disabling/enabling things? The "Clocks" seem high I have no idea what they are or do but there always at 1050/1500 idk if thats normal? (Even if they seem obvious tips to you, I know next to nothing about GPU cooling since this is my first build) Any help at all would be appreciated.

Full computer build:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/LgNRjX

Radeon stats:
Radeon Software Version - 16.3.2
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
Memory Size - 8192 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1050 MHz
Memory Clock - 1500Mhz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Solution
While 90 Celsius is not optimal, it's still below the point of critical failure. Yes, in the terms of the upcoming years, you may lose a few weeks of life out of your card, but it is not that huge of a problem if you ask me. I have a NZXT Phantom 530 case with four intake fans and three exhaust and my two Asus R9280X-DC2T-3GD5's get to about 88 Celsius when pushing them in Star Wars Battlefront.

Running the fans fast and loud has nothing to do with the life of the card, although the noise may be annoying.

Because of the factory overclock that Asus has on that card, you will notice it running warmer than the reference model, but that's not something you can control without making the fans roar to life at an annoyingly loud speed

That "30% cooler. 0dB gaming" stuff is marketing BS.

The Asus R9 390 is one of the worse variants of the 390, so these temperatures are not really out of the ordinary. 60C at idle is actually not that bad, it's just because the card shuts off the fan when idle. 80-85C is fine while gaming, you just wouldn't want it pushing past 90C. There isn't much you can do apart from changing the fan curve, or if it's really bad, replacing the cooler.

The NZXT Kraken G10 would probably still fit, you might just want to get some VRM heatsinks to go with it.

But it's still an expensive solution.

Point taken

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Expensive, but very effective - set up right, it can make the graphics card very quiet and considerably cooler. Also allows it to run at faster speeds and the lower temps allow higher overclocks in many cases.

Prob not worth it in terms of value for money though.

Billiam123

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016

I have no idea what any of that means.... So basically what I can gather is the GPU I choose is a scam card?

I wouldn't call it a scam, it's a valid attempt by Asus, although I don't recommend their R9 390s because of these problems.

Basically, you can get an aftermarket hybrid cooler (water cooler for the GPU itself and a fan for the rest of the card) like the NZXT Kraken G10, but these are expensive and it can go very wrong if you don't know how to take the factory cooler off and put the NZXT one on. If you are still in any period of time of being able to return the card, go ahead and do that and I'll let one of these smarter dudes suggest a good card for you. But if you can no longer return it, then I guess you'll have to just deal with the fans being really loud in order to prevent higher temperatures.

Billiam123

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
67 degrees just reading these comments, and highest I've seen is 91 degrees while playing games, I dunno if that's "to high"

What would you say is better to have higher temp or higher fan speed? Is there a recommended level of each like never go over X fan speed or X temp or X is best temp or X is best fan speed?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its been designed to run at that temp. It may last longer at a lower temp, but that could be the difference between 10 years and 10.5 years? Its performance will be irrelevant before it actually matters.

Billiam123

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016

Getting conflicting opinions, Which isn't necessarily bad but Sakkura says I don't want to be going past 90 (which it does sometimes and regularly is between 85-90)
RobCrezz says it reduces lifespan going over 90
But your saying it's fine.

Really not sure who is right or what to think about this now.

Billiam123

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
85 degrees on hitman menu at 44% fan speed (100% GPU usage) is fine? Sounds loud is why it concerns me that it shouldn't be making so much noise and spinning so fast doesn't sound healthy.

Just because every other prebuilt computer I've seen has not been loud why is my custom built computer that should (and is) a lot better making so much more noise...

Rexer

Distinguished
So Asus gets no cigar for the R9 390. Shame. I bought one. Lol. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with all this heat now that summer's coming. But what I notice is, after I started using Afterburner my idle temps jumped from 57/62c to 70/72c (course it has been warming up outside). I'm wondering if Crimson and Afterburner have a heating relationship (at idle).

Rexer

Distinguished

Yikes! Well, this is amazing. I when I left this thread, I jumped into BF3 multiplayer and black screened (error code: 6008). The only thing on is motherboard power. I guess I going to take your suggestion and dig out Afterburner then check my temps. I hope it's not hardware. Lol.

Dnaangel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I have the Asus Strix version and it sits anywhere between 88-92c in games (60-70 idle) with STOCK settings. It's annoying as all hell as it's constantly loud and hot during game play. I've done everything I know to do to bring temps down. I've replaced the Thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5, set custom fan profiles, DECREASED the stock core voltage and power %. It ridiculous. Coming from a Msi GTX 770 that under 100% stress hit upper 60's and was whisper quiet it's taking some getting used to.

I have the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced case and have the front and side 230mm fans set to almost max to try to aid with cooling, to no avail. The problem with the Asus version is the heat sink which is only 1/4 inch tall to keep the card within Asus's 2 slot design, not to mention they use a thermal pad for the vram cooling. VS my roommates Sapphire Nitro version which has a full inch thick heatsink, proper vram heatsink and games at around 75c and is whisper quiet....