Solved

PC wont boot after installing a new GPU

Hey guys!

I have a HP pavilion p6000 desktop PC. I installed a new graphics card (nvidia geforce gt 610) to it and the latest drivers. after a restart the pc powers up but does not boot, only a black screen. Also usb seems to be dead and the optical drive acts weirdly. I cant get to the bios at all. Also tried to have picture by attaching the monitor straight to the Mobos VGA plugin...not working. Also not getting picture with the old graphics card. U guys have any ideas what could cause this? Could I have damaged the Mobo by changing the graphics card? Thanks for ur help!
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wont boot installing gpu
  1. Also tried clearing the Cmos with the jumper and replacing the battery... without any good results. Also tried to reseat most of the components. it didnt work either. PSU is working, tested it with another computer.
  2. what's the model of your p6000 series ? what PSU unit do you have in it and what motherboard.

    Did you try putting back your old GPU see if that works ?
  3. Yeah it can be. You must have damaged your mobo while installing.
  4. Proofy said:
    what's the model of your p6000 series ? what PSU unit do you have in it and what motherboard.

    Did you try putting back your old GPU see if that works ?


    Pc:s Model seems to be p6648sc.

    PSU is hp-d3006a0, ac input (50-60Hz): 100-240v ~/6A and the motherboard is Hp 605561-001 Alpinia-GL8 RS780 MBoard

    So at first when I installed the new graphics card it did boot normally and I installed the drivers. But after driver installation restart, got just the black screen. It doesnt work with the old GPU either after that. All fans and lights (including the green light on the Mobo) works, except the power button light. Could it still be the mobo where the fault lies?
  5. Now that you explained this I think you did such a rookie mistake. You probably plugged your VGA/DVI cable into the wrong port.

    Look at the picture



    You want to plug your monitor cable to "VGA socket of add in graphic card", that's where your GT 610 gpu is, or you will see only black screen as your CPU graphic card is not active. GT 610 also have DVI and HDMI ports, I would change VGA cable with HDMI or DVI in the future
  6. Its really common for after market graphics cards to not work in HP systems (google it).

    You can try updating the bios to the newest version from HP. also try disabling "Secure Boot", and enabling Legacy boot/bios if the option is there.
  7. RobCrezz said:
    Its really common for after market graphics cards to not work in HP systems (google it).

    You can try updating the bios to the newest version from HP. also try disabling "Secure Boot", and enabling Legacy boot/bios if the option is there.


    That doesn't explain why he doesn't see anything when he put his old graphic card back that worked. I bet he plugged the cable in the wrong port
  8. Proofy said:
    RobCrezz said:
    Its really common for after market graphics cards to not work in HP systems (google it).

    You can try updating the bios to the newest version from HP. also try disabling "Secure Boot", and enabling Legacy boot/bios if the option is there.


    That doesn't explain why he doesn't see anything when he put his old graphic card back that worked. I bet he plugged the cable in the wrong port


    Yeah thats pretty common also.

    Was just adding options for the original problem.
  9. Proofy said:
    RobCrezz said:
    Its really common for after market graphics cards to not work in HP systems (google it).

    You can try updating the bios to the newest version from HP. also try disabling "Secure Boot", and enabling Legacy boot/bios if the option is there.


    That doesn't explain why he doesn't see anything when he put his old graphic card back that worked. I bet he plugged the cable in the wrong port


    Didnt do that rookie mistake. I did use the GPU:s port. Only time when I tried the mobo:s vga connection when I tried to get the picture without a GPU at all :). Also cant get to Bios, cus having just a black screen, nothing boot. Pc just powers up with all lights and fans. Also any devices what I attach trough USB dont work, so usb is pretty dead. All this after a GPU change and drive installation. Before it all runned smoothly. With new or the old GPU, no picture. Without a gpu at all no picture trough mobos vga.
  10. Ok here's what I want you to do. Firstly check your monitor on other device to make sure that monitor is working properly. Then

    1. Turn off the computer and unplug
    2. Remove Graphic card
    3. Plug the monitor to your video output (so VGA cable to your Intel HD graphics, this will use iGPU as you won't have GPU in your pc)
    4. Turn on the computer
    5. Click on start and type msconfig
    6. Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected.
    7. Apply then click ok.
    8. DO NOT RESTART.
    9. Shut Down computer and unplug
    10. Install Graphic card
    11. Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode)
    12. Go into Device Manager
    13. Expand Display Adapter
    14. Disable the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver. (DO NOT UNINSTALL)
    15. Click the start button and type msconfig
    16. Unclick Safe boot
    17. Restart
  11. I would check you havent knocked any of the existing power connectors in the system when installing.
  12. RobCrezz said:
    I would check you havent knocked any of the existing power connectors in the system when installing.


    It wouldn't start the pc at all if that happened... it's only graphic issue, unless he didn't power his GT 610

    do the steps that i gave you and report back
  13. Proofy said:
    RobCrezz said:
    I would check you havent knocked any of the existing power connectors in the system when installing.


    It wouldn't start the pc at all if that happened... it's only graphic issue, unless he didn't power his GT 610

    do the steps that i gave you and report back


    Thats not true. Many systems will power on without connectors like the 12v CPU power connector for example (it wont POST, but it will power up). Just saying its worth checking these things as many things could have been disturbed.
  14. He would hear motherboard beeps then
  15. Proofy said:
    Ok here's what I want you to do. Firstly check your monitor on other device to make sure that monitor is working properly. Then

    1. Turn off the computer and unplug
    2. Remove Graphic card
    3. Plug the monitor to your video output (so VGA cable to your Intel HD graphics, this will use iGPU as you won't have GPU in your pc)
    4. Turn on the computer
    5. Click on start and type msconfig
    6. Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected.
    7. Apply then click ok.
    8. DO NOT RESTART.
    9. Shut Down computer and unplug
    10. Install Graphic card
    11. Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode)
    12. Go into Device Manager
    13. Expand Display Adapter
    14. Disable the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver. (DO NOT UNINSTALL)
    15. Click the start button and type msconfig
    16. Unclick Safe boot
    17. Restart


    Tried again, but cant get any picture to a working monitor (tested the monitor too), not even trough iGPU video output, so cant follow those steps. And my usb devices such as mouse and keyboard aint getting power either.

    also double checked all the power connection. All were fine, in their original positions. reattached them just to be sure. Still no signal to a monitor in any way. also noticed that the power buttons light is gone too. Any ideas what to do next or does it sound like a motherboard issue? I can tell that didnt hit motherboard in anyway when attaching new or the old graphics card.
  16. Best answer
    Try reseating the Ram.
  17. So did you check if the monitor is working on some other device beside your computer?

    I doubt that your PCIe slot and your integrated iGPU doesn't work...

    Try what RobCrezz said also, clean your RAM modules and their slots and put them back in
  18. RobCrezz said:
    Try reseating the Ram.


    Tried reseating the ram. Done with almost every moving component. did not work.

    Tested the monitor too with a working pc. monitor is good
  19. Weety12 said:
    RobCrezz said:
    Try reseating the Ram.


    Tried reseating the ram. Done with almost every moving component. did not work.

    Tested the monitor too with a working pc. monitor is good


    Well since you done all there is to do I guess your motherboard is good for garbage then :'(
Ask a new question