i7-4790 or i5-4690 for a lot of multitasking

Abom

Honorable
Apr 4, 2016
Hey all. Would the i7 be overkill if I'm streaming CNNgo or HBOgo, have about 15 chrome tabs open and playing games on my main screen in a multimonitor setup? I realize i could close them but I like being able to keep things open so I can go back to them later since im using multimonitor. Thanks! I used the search but people were mostly just asking about gaming.

I'm using an i3-4170 with a GTX 960 and 16gb ram and it just can't handle the multiple programs with the flash video playing.

Solution
In this situation i7 will be better. Chrome opens a thread for every object it loads in a page. And a process for every tab. So, i7 will perform better. But if you don't have an SSD, get an SSD and the i5

Inkiad

Distinguished
In this situation i7 will be better. Chrome opens a thread for every object it loads in a page. And a process for every tab. So, i7 will perform better. But if you don't have an SSD, get an SSD and the i5

Solution

Abom

Honorable
Apr 4, 2016
Awesome, thanks. I wasn't aware Chrome opens a thread for every object. I have an SSD. I feel held back because of my Z97 but it has been a reliable mobo.

The i7-4790 is on sale at Microcenter for $250 right now so I guess it's a no brainer.