Best 100-150$ Headphones

lukeszpunar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Hello all,
My recent headsett broke so I am planning to buy some headphones and a Modmic.
First of all my budget is at around 100-150$ (for the headphones alone). The headphones should be open back and I plan on adding, as stated before, a Modmic. The use of the setup would be for gaming, music and movies
Idk if it is relevant (I am no audiophile or sound expert;)) but I play games like CS:GO, Skyrim and Guild Wars 2. Music wise I listen to HipHop/Rap, Metal and music like soundtracks of games.
Thank you for responses. :)

Solution
You can use the headphones without an amp but the main problem is volume. It won't sound very loud. Secondly not being able to drive them properly, the quality of sound will diminish.

For an amp you could use a built in headphone amp of a motherboard or soundcard if equipped. Or you could get a USB DAC with a headphone amp. Or just a headphone amp and plug it to your onboard sound.

The USB DAC is the preferred method since, amplifier aside, the DAC will sound better than the motherboard or soundcard. A good USB DAC such as the M-Audio superdac or Emotiva Big Ego that has outputs to hook up home theatres or computer speakers as well will run you around $150. A cheaper dragonfly which is still good is around $75.

If the...

gondo

Distinguished
Go to your local music store and check out their selection. At $150 sound quality isn't a big issue, but comfort will be. Choose what's comfortable for you.

You already know that you want open back. Look for something with a removable cable. Most are 3.5mm so it's a cheap fix. AKG uses a more expensive and harder to get mini XLR connector on their cable.

AKG is more popular with open backs. I have the AKG K240 MKII. Those are around $150 and are low impedance and sensitive enough to be powered from onboard audio.

The AKGs also come with 2 cables, 1 straight and 1 curly, and 2 sets of earpads. Most people prefer the velour earpads as they are way more comfy. I think they are the best open backs in their price range.

I'm also a sucker for Seinheiser as it's easy to get parts for them if they ever need repairing. Beyer Dynamic, Audio Technica, Grado, Shure, etc... they are all good. Just look for a removable cable so you don't have to dismantle them and solder on a new cable when it breaks.

lukeszpunar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Thank you for the reply,
I plan on using on board audio if that is relevant and before I posted on here I was looking at the audio-technica ath-ad 500x. Any thoughts?
Is the a cable breaking that big of a deal?

gondo

Distinguished
Well the big advantage of a nice pair of over ear studio headphones in the $100+ range is that they will last a long time compared to a PC headset. Potentially the rest of your life. The one thing that will break is the cable. Some high end headphones come with a replaceable cable. Unplug it and plug in a new one. Another advantage is you can have a shorter curly cable at your computer, then have a longer straight cable to reach the sofa, chair, or bed, to watch movies. You can also use higher quality cables to provide a superior sound. Opening them to solder is just a pain when the replaceable cables exist.

Many people are hacking headpones like Audio Technica and Grado to add a plug to make them removable. they do this because they hate the included cables. Seinheisser user a stupid 2.5mm threaded connector so people have to get a replacement from Seinheisser. At least AKG uses a standard mini XLR so you can get aftermarket cables of good quality, or a replacement direct form AKG at a good price.

As for using onboard sound for now, look for low impedance. Something closer to 16ohms will push easier than 600 ohms as a rule of thumb. But ultimately look at the sensitivity specs. That tells you how loud the headphones will be. You want high sensitivity for onboard audio.

To compare those Audio technicas with the AKG K240 MKII I have in front of me. The 500x's are 100DB/mv sensitivity and the AKG are 104. So the AKG are a bit better. I can tell you now the AKG work from onboard audio if cranked...but nothing special. A headphone amp definitely helps. Just to give you a spec to compare to when shopping.

I took a look at some brands and here's what I found:

AKG K240 MKII - already talked about
Audio Technica ATH AD-500X - Great sound, very comfy, nearly identical to the AKG minus the earpads and removable cable

Shure has some that are closed back but in this price are not as comfy as the first 2. Would have to move up to more expensive ones.

Grado make wicked nice headphones but they are dual sided non removable cables.

Klipsche is more into headsets and sport/in ear headphones these days.

Sony makes nice headphones, but I checked and they are mostly into Bluetooth, Wireless, and noise cancelling sets.

Pioneer isn't as big on headpones as they used to be.

Seinheisser has the 518 and 558 series. Good quality sound but it's the stupid custom 2.5mm threaded cable. You need the cable from Seinheiser. A real turn off.

Just from the Hi-Fi forums the audio technicas seem to be very popular. Also the AKGs are regarded as, if not close to, #1 in price/value/quality. Their mini XLR connector is nice, as is the the ease of getting nice ear cushions. You could even step it up a notch and go something better then the K240 for a really awesome headphone. AKG also makes a lot of open backs, while some companies do more closed back. AKG is owned by Harmon Kardon and it's their pro headphone division.

Are you sure you want open backs? Anyways Just some info to help make your decision easier.

As for the mic the modmic is nice. But an alternative would be the Samson C01U at the same price. It's definitely better quality then the modmic, but not as convenient. It'll pick up desk noise, etc... what is one alternative is to get the suspension for the Samson for $25, then a $25 microphone desk arm. Then it'll float in mid air like a broadcast studio. You can then position it in front of your face and reduce desk noise. And you can push it aside when you don't want the mic like with music and movies.

With the suspension and arm, a Samson will be around $100-125, the modmic is $50. I'm just giving you some alternatives, not saying the modmic is bad. The Samson is also a USB mic so it eliminates hiss, and being a standard removable USB mic it should last much longer than a mod mic. But you need the suspension and mic arm to make it as convenient as a modmic.

lukeszpunar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Thank you for your reply gondo.
I looked on amazon and the AKG K240 MKII are apparently semi open back. Do you mind helping me with that, I always heard that open backs are better for gaming (?)
If that is true, is it a big deal that they are semi open back?

gondo

Distinguished
Semi open back.....I'd have to compare them side by side with open backs. But I can have a conversation no problem with them on. Lots of leakage. They are more like opens than closed. For $100 on Amazon they are a good deal.

For $150 the K612 Pro are Open back and a definite upgrade over the 240's. These would be my top choice. I have a pair of these and they are awesome. A bit harder to drive than the 240's, but any headphones will be crap without a headphone amp. You want a board or soundcard with a headphone amp at minimum. Or a USB DAC.

lukeszpunar

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Thank you for both of the replies, to be honest the 701s have a too high price for my budget :S
the K612 pro seem like a good choice but I have w questions
1. What AMP do I need for the headphones and
2. Would it not be possible to use the headphones without an AMP?

gondo

Distinguished
You can use the headphones without an amp but the main problem is volume. It won't sound very loud. Secondly not being able to drive them properly, the quality of sound will diminish.

For an amp you could use a built in headphone amp of a motherboard or soundcard if equipped. Or you could get a USB DAC with a headphone amp. Or just a headphone amp and plug it to your onboard sound.

The USB DAC is the preferred method since, amplifier aside, the DAC will sound better than the motherboard or soundcard. A good USB DAC such as the M-Audio superdac or Emotiva Big Ego that has outputs to hook up home theatres or computer speakers as well will run you around $150. A cheaper dragonfly which is still good is around $75.

If the $150 is hard to swallow now, an Asus DG 5.1 PCI sound card is only $25. The DGX PCI-E version is $40. Both have headphone amps.

There are some good headphone amps as well. But cheaper ones are basically just 4 way headphone splitters with an amp to boost all 4 headphones back to original volume. A good 1 channel headphone amp will cost more than the soundcard. For the price it's hard to argue with the soundcard. My recommendation is the Emotiva Big Ego along with a nice pair of studio monitors. It's probably the best price/quality ratio you can get. A cheaper alternative is the M-Audio Superdac which is nice.

There is so much available it's hard to recommend something. It depends on availability in your area.

Solution