FX-8300 Overclocking problem

Roman848

Commendable
May 1, 2016
My FX-8300's current stable oc is 4176 Mhz at 1,335 Core Voltage (By Aida64 it's at 1,416)
When i try to overclock it more, Aida is giving me hardware failure error messages.
I don't know if Aida's measurements are any good.
My Mobo is GA-78LMT-USB3 (i know not very good overclocking motherboard)
PSU: CM G550M 550W 80 plus bronze (semi-modular)
16gb of ddr3 1333mhz ( oc 1546 mhz)
So i wanted to ask. Should i trust AIDA64 Voltages or BIOS Voltage ? Should i go further or not ?
Thanks for every advice, i'm novice at overclocking cpus, especially amd ones
(and sorry for my bad english)

Solution
If you don't know, then it is good to be informed 'ore phases mean better. Outage control and can handle higher TDP CPUs. And yes you should disable those. It is the BASIC stuff to do when overclocking. It looks like you just did not do what you should. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE YOU DO IT. Or else be prepared to kill your computer.

Ryan_78

Honorable
uhh don't kill your board. going with too much voltage is going to easily kill that board. its probably using 120-125w right now. don't go higher than 4.2 or itll kill it. but otherwise have you disabled APM, cool&quiet, C1E, C6 modes? have you changed voltages or any other voltage? try running memtest86 to see if its a memory error. is you CPU temps good?

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
The 8300 is fine for a bit of overclocking at stock voltages, but that board has a 4+1 power phase according to the manufacturer site. So I'd be very careful with any voltage overclocks. At stock voltages, which are usually around 1.275v-1.3v, you should be able to get between 4.2ghz and 4.4ghz with the multiplier. Depends on how lucky you are. Make sure you turn off things like turbo boost and other power saving settings in your bios. And make sure core temps don't go over 63c. Also, does your bios have a manual loadline calibration (LLC) setting?

Other good hardware monitoring programs include cpu-z and hardwaremonitor. See if they give more accurate readings.

Read up as much as you can about overclocking fx 83xx chips, and on your board.

Roman848

Commendable
May 1, 2016

I have changed Core Voltages and CPU Voltages (not sure what is what) but not any other, memtest i will try, and no i didnt disable APM, cool and quiet, c1e, c6 modes, shall i ? CPU temps are in 60-68 C.
Thanks for reply

Roman848

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Well, and is 4+1 power phase bad ? i mean it's 8 pin, something i didnt saw at intel's mobo. And my stock voltages are around 1.175, so i dont know what that mean either. LLC, i think so why ? Is it necessary in overclocking ?
Thanks for your reply

Ryan_78

Honorable
If you don't know, then it is good to be informed 'ore phases mean better. Outage control and can handle higher TDP CPUs. And yes you should disable those. It is the BASIC stuff to do when overclocking. It looks like you just did not do what you should. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING BEFORE YOU DO IT. Or else be prepared to kill your computer.

Solution

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Lower power phases means poorer power delivery to the cpu. And since the 8300 has a 125w TDP, you'd get better overclock stability with a better power phase (ideally 8+2). The VRMs are heatsinced, so you do have that benefit. But the overall power delivery won't be nearly as good as what you need for higher overclocks.

The LLC setting in your bios should have an auto and 3 manual settings. Low, medium, and extreme. You might be able to get better stability if you lower vcore voltages to around 1.25v-1.27v and set the LLC to med. That should allow your cpu to draw a bit higher voltages when it needs it, and run on a lower voltage when it doesn't.

Disable these settings in the bios:
C1E state
cpu unlock
Core c6 state
CnQ
Turbo Boost <- very important to turn this off for stability reasons

That mobo will be the determining factor of your overclock, which might not be much better then stock speeds, so performance gains may be small. If you really want that 4.5ghz+, go with something like a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P. And make sure you have adequate cooling, too.

Ryan_78

Honorable

FX 8300 is a 95w chip. oc to 4.2 then you get 125w. its basically a fx 8350 at lower voltages and clocks.
yea something like my board with 8+2 is important.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

Oh that's right, it is 95w. I forget which ones were 95w and which were 125w there's so many 83xx series chips.

Ryan_78

Honorable

ikr. fx 8100, 8120, 8300, 8320, 8350 w/ wraith, 8370, 8370w/ wraith, fx 8370e, fx 8320e. lol
but when they are at the same clock, they use the same power b/c same architecture. so a fx 8300 at 4.0 4.2 turbo= fx 8350

jeffredo

Distinguished
I have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 and an FX-8320E (more or less an FX-8300 - practically the same speed and 95W). The max stable I could get was 4.2 Ghz @ 1.3V. Basically, even with all the power saving features turned off that's about as good as that board can do.

Ryan_78

Honorable

yee agreed. that board isnt designed for stuff like 8 core OC and can barely if at all oc. yep

TRENDING THREADS