802.11ac wifi, how good is it???

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
Im Looking at getting the ASRock H97M-ITX/ac Motherboard for my new pc which consists of a Xeon 1230v3, 16GB of Ram and a 750TI, all my concerns about the parts are non existent apart from the wifi onboard the Mobo, is it going to be fast enough to play online games such as CoD, CS:GO, GTA V Online, as well as doing some youtube uploading, all while being in a discord server talking to some friends. i have a 2.4/5 GHz Router installed in my house, and i know the board is capable of connecting to those frequencies, its more the speed that worries me, it says on the website that the chip that the wifi for the board connects to is a Mini-pcie, so if that is a pcie x1 slot, it might be possible to get a tri band wifi card and put it in internally and see how that works if the wifi isnt fast enough.
thanks to all that reply!

Solution
OK.
The 'no ethernet cables' was not referenced earlier.

Will WiFi work? Maybe. As said, every house is different. It might be great, it might suck.
The only way to know is to try.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013

so being my only option is wifi, should i see if i can upgrade the wifi card in the pc http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/h97m-itxac/
the board has a mini pcie card thing where the stock wifi chip should be

USAFRet

Titan

Impossible to say. Every environment is different.

You should wait until you get it and try it.
If it sucks, then maybe look to a different device.

But WiFi is a finicky beast. Slight angle change on the antenna, or moving a USB dongle 12" to the left....might make the difference between work or suck.

If you can't string an ethernet cable, don't assume WiFi si your only option. Powerline devices, for instance.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013

well, my internet using a tplink 450mbps adapter is getting me 20down/13up and its situated at 3 bar strength currently, and im about 4ish metres away from the router that is through a brick wall, i wanted to keep the ethernet port free on the mobo so i can use it for file transfer to a different pc as i've seen some working articles about it.

EDIT: the board says it supports 433mbps

USAFRet

Titan

That would be MUCH better done with ethernet cables from each PC direct to the same router. That's the basics of a residential LAN.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013

hmm, i still live at home with my parents, so thats why i got the idea of keeping it free for that specific reason, i did have the idea of just getting a very high capactiy usb to transfer files over, but i kinda just wanted it simple so its just drag and drop between the two pcs and just leaving it too it instead of having to take ages to read to it, then read from it because of usb.

USAFRet

Titan

If both PC's are connected to the same router, transferring data between is trivial.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
http://www.tufitech.com/how-to/fastest-way-to-transfer-files-from-pc-to-pc/

this was the article I looked at, it's straight foward and to the point, and the sending times arnt long and painful if you have a fair amount of time like me, and I had a look, the wifi card isn't that bad, but I will tinker with it because I want to see what's possible

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
But that is no different than having the 2 systems connected to the same router via ethernet cables (Cat5e). You would see the exact same performance.

No need to 'reserve' the LAN port for only that use, and have everything else go through WiFi.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
yes, but may I repeat, I still live at home with my parents, so they won't let me drag out two Ethernet leads to the router just for file sharing, trust me. I've asked before... and this PC will be going with me when I move out, so it will be NOWHERE near a router, unless I trail a Ethernet cable up to a couple port networking hub. but that is extra cost, this is cheap simple and clean.

GoldenGamerUK

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2013
yeah, that is true, being I am not that far away from the router in retrospect, and the router we have supports the 2.4/5ghz technologies that are on the mobo, I have a pretty good feeling about this mobo, thanks for your help USAFRet