i5-4460 locked at 800mhz

so, a little while ago i noticed a drop in fps in tf2 (i have been playin alot of tf2, lol)and didnt think much of it until a ran minecraft, yes, minecraft, and got really low fps, and checked cpu-z and it said i was running at 800mhz, so i thought maybe throttling, nope, max 50-60c all the time. any ideas???

Solution
Curious as to how it got set to 8x by itself. Actually, you might want to see if there are other settings that got screwed up - because actually locking it to 32x means it won't ever slow down and go into lower power mode.

That's why I suggested getting in and 'loading optimal default' settings. If I'm not mistaken, the multiplier should be set to 'auto' which would allow it to turbo up and go into lower power states depending on load.

Take a look at your motherboard documentation and see if it's in there somewhere.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Something to remember is that:

All modern processors have dynamic clocks, usually a minimum multiplier, then when you put it under load it'll jump to 'normal' multipliers. This saves power.

Also - while 50-60c is not anywhere near the thermal limits (usually 80-90c is max 'safe'), 50-60c is idling very high. Normal idle temps assuming you're not in some sweatbox somewhere or have a serious airflow problem with your computer should be mid 30c.

So - I'm wondering what's going on with your computer. If it was malware loading your system, your idle speeds would be higher (as in it wouldn't be going to idle at all and would run higher clocks). Since clocks are low, and temps are high, I'm wondering if you have a bad airflow problem (as in some fans aren't working).

Pop open your case, turn on the computer and make sure your CPU fan is spinning and your case fans are working too. Then get back and let us know.

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Just gonna comment here, this would be correct, but he specifically said his processor's max temp was always 50-60 degrees, he never even mentioned anything about idle

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Potatoe, I definitely don't know the answer yet, I've never seen an issue this strange, since most people just overclock their CPU back up (but yours is locked), but I can try to narrow it down. What CPU cooler are you using?

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Ah - didn't read between the lines. Got it.

The CPU-z clock reading - is that while a game is running or the computer is under load? Easy way to test - install geekbench, fire up CPU-z, then run the geekbench test. Make sure it's really locked at 800 max.

Another thing to try, get into the BIOS, find the 'load optimal settings' and apply that.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Curious as to how it got set to 8x by itself. Actually, you might want to see if there are other settings that got screwed up - because actually locking it to 32x means it won't ever slow down and go into lower power mode.

That's why I suggested getting in and 'loading optimal default' settings. If I'm not mistaken, the multiplier should be set to 'auto' which would allow it to turbo up and go into lower power states depending on load.

Take a look at your motherboard documentation and see if it's in there somewhere.

Solution