Is the i5 6500 priced at $179 a good deal?

Trong_

Commendable
May 3, 2016
Hello,

As the title states, is the i5 6500 priced at $179 (at microcenter, before tax) a good deal? I would like to know if I should buy it now for a build to be completed in last August to early September time frame.

About how long should I expect the price of a skylake core i5 to drop to around $165 like some of the previous generation core i5's?

Thanks in advance,
T.

Solution
When you purchase any motherboard and CPU, you can get a bundle price, not just on the advertised ones. You might have to ask for it, but that's what I did with my 6600K and Gigabyte Gaming 5. It was like 350 bucks out the door, tax and all.

Trong_

Commendable
May 3, 2016

I am currently looking at the Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard because at newegg there is a $20 mail-in rebate that makes its $85.99. Which is also a good price for a motherboard and is less expensive than the bundle offered at microcenter for the same two components. Do you know how long microcenter usually keep their prices or do they increase after a sale period?

Geekwad

Admirable
It's actually $30 right now. You can get this for a backup board to use the system now for like $20 after it's all said and done, and then just save for the one you really want.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/457459/H110M_Pro-VD_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

Crazy cheap.

I wouldn't expect prices to be lower in August though.....back to school 'sales' are usually priced close to the late spring (with prices many time rising in between).

Trong_

Commendable
May 3, 2016

Where in the microcenter website did it show that that motherboard can be bundled with the i5 6500? I didn't see it listed.

When you purchase any motherboard and CPU, you can get a bundle price, not just on the advertised ones. You might have to ask for it, but that's what I did with my 6600K and Gigabyte Gaming 5. It was like 350 bucks out the door, tax and all.

Solution