i3 3220 Upgrade!

DerScheisRaucher

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I wanna Upgrade my i3 3220, but i dont know what.

I have also another Question: I have an H61M-K that doesnt Support 2xxxK/2xxx CPUs, it only Supports 2xxxS CPUs, the Thing is, would a i5 2500 / i5 2500K work in it? Maybe with downclocking/Undervolting, i asked the ASUS Support they only say: We only can Gurantee that it works with the CPUs theyre in the List

And what should i Upgrade, should i spend 100€ to get an i5 2500k/2500 (If it would work)
Or should i spend 300€ (that would take a while) to get an i5 6600K ?

Solution

Uhmmm .. I think you need to rethink what your saying here. Your title says "3220" then your talking 'upgrade' to a
i5 2500?!?! While the i5 is more cores, why would you DOWNGRADE to a previous generation? Why not...

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

Whoa

whoa

whoa!!

Slow down there. You said your board only supports 2xxxS CPUs, so that would be incredibly stupid to invest in a 2500k, no? And the question isn't what to upgrade to, it's should you upgrade. If your CPU isn't bottlenecking anything (if you're gaming), or rendering/video editing slow (if you video edit/render), then why upgrade it?

By the way, your board is LGA 1155, that's not gonna support a 6600k. The 6600k also uses DDR4, yours uses DDR3, so you'd have to buy 3 completely new components that are gonna be pretty pricey. And where are you looking for this 6600k? You can get it for a lot cheaper than 300 pounds on Newegg

Edit: a LOT cheaper. I just realized it's about 430 USD, and the Newegg price is about half that.

Uhmmm .. I think you need to rethink what your saying here. Your title says "3220" then your talking 'upgrade' to a
i5 2500?!?! While the i5 is more cores, why would you DOWNGRADE to a previous generation? Why not just upgrade to a i5-3xxx series instead?

ALSO NOTE: IF you change the CPU on a OEM (ASUS, DELL, ETC.) system YOU VOID YOUR WINDOWS and HAVE TO BUY A NEW COPY. SERIOUSLY!

Per the OEM contract with Dell, ASUS, etc. THAT copy of Windows can be sold with THAT model PC with THAT specific hardware (CPU, Mobo, and sometimes even the case itself!) ONLY. IF any of that changes, Windows (when it STARTS) says WAIT I been pirated! - NOPE won't load, you can't make me. Even if you try reinstall / repair/ whatever else, Windows will refuse to start/repair/reinstall because that is NOT the ASUS hardware AS SOLD.

So you will also need to figure in the cost of a new copy of Windows, and DO A CLEAN REINSTALL of WINDOWS. No you can not 'switch keys', again that is because the version on the PC is OEM and to prevent piracy of Windows.

Solution

intimthebrave

Commendable
May 10, 2016
Just bought an i5 3470s on ebay for 90 bucks, it would work in your motherboard i would think, ecspecially since you already have an i3 3220 which is what i have. the i5 3470s is an awesome power saving chip 2.9-3.6ghz turbo, and it outperforms the FX 8350 (8-core) in single core performance by 37%