HD 6870 failure : black screen on Windows startup

Strelokk

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
Greetings

I am the owner of a HD 6870 and I have a huge problem with it. I'm going to try being as comprehensive as possible.
I wanted to tweak a bit my frequencies with the AMD Crimson Overdrive. I boosted them by like 5% and had no temperature issue (the highest I've reached must've been like 65°C but it ran at around 55°C, my case is well-aerated)
I've been running under these settings for a couple days, but today while playing, all of sudden the screen kind of "flickered", stretched and produce weird graphical artifacts, for a couple seconds before ending on a black screen.
But now, just after the "Welcome" panel on Windows 7, right after logging in my screen directly goes black !
The only way to reach the desktop is by using the safe mode.
From the safe mode I can uninstall the drivers, then boot on Windows normal mode, on the motherboard integrated GPU. But it is pointless since I can't run any game.
Problem is, in safe mode I can not access AMD Overdrive or any overclocking software. And the drivers must be installed in order to do so on normal mode.
I tried several versions of the driver (the latest supporting my GPU being Crimson 15.2) but none of these produces different results.
Between each installation, I used Display Driver Uninstaller to guarantee a clean uninstall of the former drivers. And I made sure that every folder AMD-related was fully erased.

Now, I just remembered that I had a spare graphics card lying around, an HD 6770 (same product series than my HD 6870 so same drivers). I put it on, repeated the procedure and booted properly ! I checked in Overdrive, the frequencies are the normal HD 6770 stock frequencies.

But in that case, would it mean that my HD 6870 is DEAD ? As stated above, it has NEVER overheated...

I had a question in particular : do you know where the Overdrive settings are stored ? Is it on the local drive (because I made sure that I deleted everything related to my GPU between each driver install), or it is stored in the BIOS (I checked it and found nothing regarding GPU frequ and voltages) ? I tried everything I could think of for resetting them.

I hope someone could provide me an answer... I'm starting to fear for my GPU, it is a bit old but it is not a bad one

TRENDING THREADS