Will a i3 6100 be good enough for gtx 1070 ?

Solution
In cpu bound games the i3 will begin showing fps drops like it does currently. The 1070 would be somewhat overkill for 1080p, would likely stretch its legs well at 1440p. Regardless of the cpu you may not get the max out of a 1070 at 1080p resolution. Similar to running a 980ti for 1080p. The hyperthreading helps an i3 over say a pentium, something strictly dual core but min fps are lower than a true quad core like an i5 or i7. 79-85fps may be fine for a 60hz monitor, a 144hz monitor may be a different story.

It all depends on the system as a whole rather than one size fits all. There's a reason the i3 is touted for being a good budget gaming cpu and not the best gaming cpu for the money. It's not priced to be and it's not, it is what...

Evil Mastermind

Reputable
Apr 9, 2016

isnt that what I said O: at least an i5

Ertytheqwerty1029

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
If it's better than an Titan X

it's going to bottleneck it like crazy UNLESS you overclock the hell out of it
(Something like 5 ghz, its going to the point where it's just pointless)

If you are looking to updgrade to a new GPU go and get a r9 390, upgrade your PSU if you need to and BAM (That is once they new cards from both sides come out)

Black_Ho1e

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
I get about average 79 to 85 fps on 1080 ultra on everything I tried except GTA V, I think we're at the limit of visually noticing with the naked eye, you can get far better FPS with an I5 but will your naked eye notice it?? Doubtfully. My research has shown any processor capable of 3.5 GHZ is fine. Anything over 3.5 GHZ cpu's your naked eye again can't tell the difference much. So save money and get an I3 skylake

In cpu bound games the i3 will begin showing fps drops like it does currently. The 1070 would be somewhat overkill for 1080p, would likely stretch its legs well at 1440p. Regardless of the cpu you may not get the max out of a 1070 at 1080p resolution. Similar to running a 980ti for 1080p. The hyperthreading helps an i3 over say a pentium, something strictly dual core but min fps are lower than a true quad core like an i5 or i7. 79-85fps may be fine for a 60hz monitor, a 144hz monitor may be a different story.

It all depends on the system as a whole rather than one size fits all. There's a reason the i3 is touted for being a good budget gaming cpu and not the best gaming cpu for the money. It's not priced to be and it's not, it is what it is, a hyper threaded pentium basically.

Solution

0h6i_Geemo

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

But the i3 acts like a quad core

F3rrum

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Remember bottlenecks are meassured at 1080p. The 1070 will be bottlenecked. (22%)
If you have a 2K or 4K monitor - YOU SHOULD DEFINETLY play at the max res. The CPU doesnt matter in the slightest at 4K - cut by 20%, and in 2K the bottleneck at 1080p is cut by 5% or more. I highly recomend a CPU upgrade to a ryzen or i5 becuase at 1080p, there might be frame drops. I personally have an i3-7350k (I know, I know an i5 is better, but I got it for less than $100) and a 1070 and there is no bottleneck at 4K res and not much at 1080p.
Tell me which resoltion you will be played at.
Hope this helps :)

An i3 can pass as a 'quad' core for most games in terms of whether they'll run or not because it will handle 4 threads. However it's still a dual core. Hyper threading doesn't add cores, all it can do is keep data at the ready in a more efficient manner for the existing cores to process. An i3 won't really keep up with a quad core. Once processing becomes intensive in terms of games that's where the min frame rates tend to dip pretty low and fluctuate much more than a true quad core like an i5 or i7.

In games where the i3 does perform just as well it's because the game relies heavily on just one or two main threads which is still true for a lot of games. That's why if using a cpu with higher core counts the workload can be seen spread out over various cores/threads but it will show core0 running 100%, core 2 running 85% and the rest of the cores only running maybe 15-25%.