3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM compatible with i7 6700K?

johnsmith3808

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
The local store near builds a computer for free when you buy it and I was wondering if it's a good idea to buy a intel i7 6700K with 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM because intel's website shows that the 6700K only supports up to 2133 Mhz. The difference in price is like $20 between 2133 Mhz and 3200 Mhz but would a new computer which obviously arrives not overclocked even work with 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM?

Solution
intel set a make speed and voltage for the memory controller inside the cpu. the older cpu were 1600 and 1.5v. over clocker could use ram up to 1.65v and a lot faster speed. the issue is the faster the ram goes the more voltage needed and the shorter the life of the cpu memory controller. from heat. newer ram will also have non intel xmp speeds in there eprom. so the ram will default to 2100 or 2400 speed. it up to user ifg they want to over clock or not. with the ram your looking at it a good buy for 20.00 more. all it means is your ram will be more stable at slower speeds as it been binned for higher stable speeds.
intel set a make speed and voltage for the memory controller inside the cpu. the older cpu were 1600 and 1.5v. over clocker could use ram up to 1.65v and a lot faster speed. the issue is the faster the ram goes the more voltage needed and the shorter the life of the cpu memory controller. from heat. newer ram will also have non intel xmp speeds in there eprom. so the ram will default to 2100 or 2400 speed. it up to user ifg they want to over clock or not. with the ram your looking at it a good buy for 20.00 more. all it means is your ram will be more stable at slower speeds as it been binned for higher stable speeds.

Solution