Will a i5 4690 bottleneck GTX 1080 SLI rig ultra max 4k gaming?

Rossdowling321

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
As the title says, if you don't want to answer with the 1080s in mind since they haven't come out then just imagine i'm going a 3 or 4 way SLI on the titan X instead.

Solution
When it comes to CPU bottlenecking its a lot different than GPU bottlenecks. You can ALWAYS use more GPU power, but CPU wise one it processes fast enough for the game thats it its just not going to make a difference in performance. At this point a 4690 will do anything with any game, so I would not be concerned with a bottleneck at all.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
When it comes to CPU bottlenecking its a lot different than GPU bottlenecks. You can ALWAYS use more GPU power, but CPU wise one it processes fast enough for the game thats it its just not going to make a difference in performance. At this point a 4690 will do anything with any game, so I would not be concerned with a bottleneck at all.

Solution

BiaxialObject48

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

All consumer chips (like the 4790K, not the 5820K and above) have only 16 PCIe lanes. A single graphics card runs in 16x, meaning it will use all 16 lanes. If you have 2 graphics cards, they will run in 8x each. 3 graphics cards means 8x, 4x, 4x, and finally, 4 cards results in 4x across the board. You will definitely lose performance, as well as the fact that there are stuttering problems in games with 3 or 4 way SLI, as discovered by LinusTechTips.

If you have the money for a 4 way SLI Titan X, I am curious as to why you never thought about an enthusiast CPU (5820K or better). I would recommend a Broadwell-E CPU (those come out later this year or early next year) paired with a GTX 1080 SLI. 1080s are much cheaper than a Titan X.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Its a little more complicated but basically right. Skylake and a 6700k has 20 PCIe lanes when paired with a Z170 motherboard. Also some boards (ones designed to go 3 and 4 way) have multiplier chips to allow for more PCIe lanes required to do 3 and 4 way CFX and SLI.

Still I agree, If I was gonna go 3 or 4 way SLI I would use a high end chipset like X99, not hold it back by using a regular consumer processor.

4-way SLI is mostly just for bragging rights, there is no real reason why a basic consumer would need 4 top of the line GPU's unless they need a rendering server for encoding videos to upload online for a major site. Also 4K ultra on a AAA game at a playable frame rate is years a way from my prospective, 1080 and 1440p are totally fine resolutions at the moment as they are actually playable and look totally fine.

A single or two 1070-80's would be totally fine, I see no reason why you would spend so much money to get 4 GPU together when you could spend that on other practical things such as bills or a gift for a friend or even your boy/girlfriend or wife/husband which is always appreciated.

Don't waste money...

Rossdowling321

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
I can't afford more than 1, but eventually I will have 2, But was just curious to see at what stage my CPU becomes the bottleneck, thats why I mentioned more than 2 SLI setup :) Sorry for not clearing that up.

TRENDING THREADS