i7 3770 is running at 4.2ghz when the stock clock is 3.4 and turbo is 3.9

Solution
A locked cpu can change multi. SB and IB have limited oc on non k cpus which is 4 bins above turbo as I've pointed out. 43 is his max. It's only showing 41 because turbo on all cores. You only touched on it with changing ram speed but the reason changing bclk isn't recommended is because it affects all other components like usb, pcie, sata, everything else on the mobo so changing it too much will cause instability elsewhere. The big one being sata which could cause corruption. Although ~105 is about the max before it becomes unstable, I'd keep it lower and the speed isn't going to be affected much anyways. You can't compare bclk to amd systems or even other intel chipsets as some will allow more leeway/ability to change it more without...
interesting. It appears your base clock has risen 3 MHz I guess turbo mode is some sort of overclock. if it is stable and the temps are not terrible, might as well keep it. the RAM is now slightly faster as well. perhaps invest $25-$35 for a decent cooler.

whoaskedyou

Commendable
May 8, 2016

it is an asus motherboard and i set it to asus optimal would that be the cause?

whoaskedyou

Commendable
May 8, 2016

yeah im actually about to go grab one since i needed it running a bit faster

Ya that's why. It usually puts vcore too high so if you set that yourself you could get temps down some. Non k can oc 400mhz above turbo so 43x100=4.3ghz. If you want to keep the bclk at 103 you could get it to 4.4ghz. It is probably already set to max but the limited oc keeps the different turbo levels depending on number of cores used. Look for enhanced turbo and that would get you max speed an all cores.

I bet the base clock could go up a bit as well. 105 would not be ridiculous.

whoaskedyou

Commendable
May 8, 2016

okay i was a bit confused as to what was going on since its not a k series

sorry im kind of new to this, could you explain what bclk is and how to get it to 4.4ghz safely

Okay, so with a CPU, there is a clock signal generated on the motherboard. This is known as the base clock, bus speed or sometimes the Front side Bus. this speed is often 100MHz with newer intel chips, and 200 with AMD chips. think of it as a timing belt for the car, it keeps things in sync. the CPU has a multiplier which is based off of the base clock signal it receives. Generally, when one wants to overclock, they will go for a pure multiplier overclock. This is because it is easier to do ( at least because more people talk of it. ) So, if you have a base clock of 100MHz, and you change the multiplier from 35 to 40, you are chaning the CPU speed from 35X100=3500Mhz=3.5 GHz to 100X40=4000MHz=4.0 Ghz. Locked chips will not let you change the multiplier. but as we can see with the numbers, as they get multiplied together, increasing either one yeilds a net boost in speed. thus getting the base clock speed to 105 and keeping the multiplier at 35 yeilds 105X35=3675MHz=3.67MHz. So you have overclocked, but you have not changed the multiplier. as an added bonus ( or challenge if your RAM is not rated for high speeds) the RAM as it is also running on the base clock also speeds up. so, in the bios if you go to advanced mode, there should be options for multiplier and base speed. simply increase it one at a time, boot and then bench with prime 95 or Intel burn test with as much RAM as you can allocate to it ( if you have 8 GB of RAM give it 7.5 if you have 16 GB give it 15.5, the more RAM the greater the stress, and the easier it is to find instabilities.)
keep going until the system is unstable. you could even get to 107. my AMD system has gotten a base clock up to 219 (+19 MHz or 8.5 MHz on an Intel system.)

A locked cpu can change multi. SB and IB have limited oc on non k cpus which is 4 bins above turbo as I've pointed out. 43 is his max. It's only showing 41 because turbo on all cores. You only touched on it with changing ram speed but the reason changing bclk isn't recommended is because it affects all other components like usb, pcie, sata, everything else on the mobo so changing it too much will cause instability elsewhere. The big one being sata which could cause corruption. Although ~105 is about the max before it becomes unstable, I'd keep it lower and the speed isn't going to be affected much anyways. You can't compare bclk to amd systems or even other intel chipsets as some will allow more leeway/ability to change it more without affecting other components.

The other option you'd want to change is vcore and you'd have to do some testing to see how low you can get it with your cpu before instability. It's different for any system. Leaving it on auto usually goes too high (I've seen some go over 1.42v which is not good) and you should get that speed with 1.35v or less.

Solution

well, 43X105 is 4.5 GHz + so that sounds like good news to me.