fx 9590 / r9 290x cooling questions, possible mini case. First time attempting a custom loop

iliketomatoes

Reputable
May 8, 2015
I realize I didn't specify this in the initial post, the issue I'm having with the case I want is the gpu is too long, the waterblock/open loop idea was to not have to get a different gpu and potentially give me room to overclock my current card. I understand the 9590 needs liquid cooling and I'm not interested in how I should have gone with intel or switching my current parts to intel or even how I should have spent my money. I'd just like to know if there's an aftermarket way to swap out the tri-x fans that's relatively cost effective so it will fit in that case.

I have posted a link to my current build further down in the post. Basically I like the idea of having a mini case but I didn't have that in mind when I pieced together my original computer. I'd like to move my components to a mini case and keep as much of the original components as possible however I'm not sure if It can be done with my current build. I understand that the fx 9590 is the hottest cpu currently on the market but what I would like to know is if I could run a 9590 and a 290x with a water block off a single 140mm radiator and what components would I need to make a custom loop in the case I linked below since that case seems to be best suited for what I'm looking for. if its not possible I may be able to fit a thin 240mm radiator in between the gpu and end of the case however I would not be able to fit a 2nd fan at the top of the radiator and also I'm not sure if having the gpu upside down with a water block would effect cooling performance if it is possible to do in this case. Thank you in advanced for anyone that can help.

After thought, would it be possible to have 2 separate closed loop coolers with a nzxt g10 on the gpu or would fitment be an issue?

Current build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JY3yvK

Case I would like to use:
http://www.amazon.com/RIOTORO%C2%AE-CR1080-Compartment-Support-Dedicated/dp/B01D205IXS?tag=georiot-pcg-20&ascsubtag=hawk-1660836019-20

Possible radiator pump combo?:
http://www.swiftech.com/MCR140-X.aspx

Solution

No worries, the hardware itself is already dated. The 9590 is a highly OCed 8350 basically and that's why it requires the extra voltage, it was released somewhat as a publicity stunt to claim having the highest clocked 'stock' CPU, but is easily outperformed by a 2 gen old 4770K....a 290X is a rebranded 7970 GHz edition GPU. If looking for performance gains, I'd invest the money into an Intel rig. Custom loops can get expensive and not really effective in performance gains
The FX-9590 is not the best choice for a mini case and your choice of MB will not support this processor. The FX-9590 has a TDP draw of 220W and the MB supports up to 140W. The best MB for this chip is Crosshair V Formula Z. You will encounter issues relating to heat and fitment of components.
Also your cooler of choice will not fit your choice of case and is inadequate IMO. An open loop mounted within the case will restrict air flow and I would not recommend this to a first time builder.
I recommend a less demanding chip with a lower TDP draw (Intel or AMD of your choosing) rather than the FX-9590, if you wish to continue the mini route.
Part picker has indicated limitations, so heed the advice and continue your research.

iliketomatoes

Reputable
May 8, 2015

My choice of motherboard is listed under the compatible motherboards for the 9590, not to mention has been supporting the processor for the past 4 months its been installed. Also, the specifications on asus's page for the motherboard say it supports processors up to 220w. The case I was interested in will support up to a 240mm but because of the length of the gpu I can't fit one that big that's why I was asking about an open loop with a water block because I would gain some space not having the fans hanging off the end of the gpu. I understand that I have a 280mm one in my current case that has been modified to support that cooler and this would not be the cooler I would be using in the new case

No, you cant run a 9590 and a 290x off a single 140mm radiator.
You are also being extremely cost ineffective here. For the price of cooling on the 9590 you could afford a replacement processor and motherboard that would not require additional cooling, would fit your case, and would increase performance.

Do as you wish iliketomatoes however you will encounter problems should you want to OC beyond stock 4.7ghZ.
As I said before the M5A99FX PRO R2.0 MB supports CPUs up to 140W. Go here: https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/specifications/

If you check the actual CPU support list the 9590 is technically supported:
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/
That being said, ASUS lists 140w as a max so they dont have to ensure the 220w processors run properly on the boards.
Some people can get them to run, they dont condone it though.

iliketomatoes

Reputable
May 8, 2015

That's odd the au sight gives different specs than the us? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/specifications/

iliketomatoes

Reputable
May 8, 2015

the fitment issue is due to the length of the 290x not the 9590 I suppose I didn't specify that in my article, I wanted to see if it was possible to do it without getting a new gpu aka put a water block on the gpu so the fans didn't hang over as far and everything else would fit in the case and I could potentially overclock the gpu. the 9590 need liquid cooling and would be fine on a 140mm closed loop cooler its the gpu that's too long that I was wondering if there was a way to replace the tri-x cooler so the current build minus the x61 would fit in the case

I've reset that for you and removed the insulting post along with the poster and his IP address.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

No worries, the hardware itself is already dated. The 9590 is a highly OCed 8350 basically and that's why it requires the extra voltage, it was released somewhat as a publicity stunt to claim having the highest clocked 'stock' CPU, but is easily outperformed by a 2 gen old 4770K....a 290X is a rebranded 7970 GHz edition GPU. If looking for performance gains, I'd invest the money into an Intel rig. Custom loops can get expensive and not really effective in performance gains

Solution

These comments are hardly helpful to the OPs original post. He states "I understand the 9590 needs liquid cooling and I'm not interested in how I should have gone with intel or switching my current parts to intel or even how I should have spent my money".

Nothing wrong with the OPs choice of processor or GPUs and I see nothing constructive in trying to sway a persons choice of build. There is no factual basis for the comments made and should be considered as Opinion only. This only starts the typical trolling battles iv'e seen on other forums.

Please do not troll this interesting Thread.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

It's not trolling, it's being honest - in order to watercool the CPU (which is based on a 4 year old die in the first place) and the GPU (based on the 2012 7970 GHz), Will cost a fair amount money for pump(s), Rads, fittings, tubing, etc. Also more than likely needing a new case, the PSU is right on the edge now (AMD recommended a 1,000 watt PSU for the 9590), so may need to invest in a better one.

So we have a healthy investment of money and a persons time to put everything together, and don't even KNOW if the CPU is capable of OCing any or much higher, same with the GPU. And even then it will still fall behind even a 2011 era 2600K, a 2012 3770K, most any Haswell or Skylake rig performance wise.

iliketomatoes

Reputable
May 8, 2015
No one had any idea what they were were talking about and no one answered my question, i was able to fit the gpu in the case with a thin 120mm fan and a 120mm corsair aio on the 9590 heat isn't an issue and the computer runs fine I realize this forum is just a waste of time because instead of getting an answer to my actual question I got a bunch of Intel fanboys providing me with everything but a useful answer to my question.