i3 6100 vs FX6300 for gaming

Rayakins

Reputable
May 9, 2016
I am planning a fairly budget gaming build wich I will use to play predominantly action RPGs like The Witcher and Bethesda titles (including heavilly modded Skyrim). I am aiming at a GTX 970 for the graphics card.

I have read and watched a lot of reviews and reached the point where my head is spinning. I get that the Skylake is a lot newer and performs better in many benchmarks but as I like open-world sandbox games will the additional cores and easier overclocking mean I get better performance out of the FX 6300? I know that i5 6600K is a better option but that strains the finances a little too much unless I wait a long time.

Also am I 'bottlenecking' the GTX 970 with either of these CPUs and would therefore be better off getting a R9 380X? I am aware there is no consensus on this issue but I would like to get an idea of what most people with real world experience think.

Thanks

Solution

Hawkshot

Admirable

Honestly speaking if you get a FX-6300 now you are only going to be hurting yourself. the i3 6100 is a fantastic CPU with availability of the Z170 motherboards which are very nice and DDR4 RAM. most RPG's rely on GPU power and single core processing power, with this in mind the i3 6100 paired with the GTX970 will be pretty good for 1080p gaming, also you could go with the i3 6100 and a R9 380x and still get very good framerates if you want to lower the cost a bit.

while the FX-6300 is still a pretty decent budget CPU if you get it when you look to upgrade in future you will have to almost fully replace your entire system at once as this hardware is almost 4 years old already I cannot recommend this route.

Solution

Rayakins

Reputable
May 9, 2016
OK definitely going with the i3 and a budget Z170 mobo. That way I can always upgrade later. I am buying the parts over the next couple of months so I will leave the GPU to last and hopefully there ill be a few price cuts on the GTX 970. Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS