8320 and msi 760gma p34fx.

miner49er187

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
I have a pc I bought awhile ago. It has an 8320 on a msi 760 gma p34 (fx). I know its not the best board for an 8 core amd cpu. I was curious on the cheapest or cost effective way to overclock. Currently have stock cooler and know I( will need to buy another. Was just curious on if I could get a slight overclock on the board or if I would need a new one just to go to 4.0 ghz for example. I know that the vrms dont have good heatsinks, just kind of curious on options. Thank you.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to test out a bit of OC'ing with the stock cooler and a board not really well designed for OC'ing... start by disabling turbo mode in BIOS. Increase the CPU multiplier one increment. Save an boot to Win. Run a stress testing app like IBT. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html
If you use IBT, leave it at the default settings and run the test. Watch temps. If all is good, repeat until you get an unstable result. Normally at that point one would begin to increase the vcore to regain stability, but with no heat sinks and stock cooling, you won't go that far.

But keep in mind, the FX-8320 turbos to 4GHz on 4 cores anyway. OC'ing won't make a huge difference since you will have turbo mode disabled, and few games/apps utilize more than 4 cores effectively.

bignastyid

Titan
Overclocking any amount is a bad idea on that board. You should feel lucky the vrms aren't causing cpu throttling at stock speeds, as thats a very common issue on the 760g boards and even many 970 boards. Its not just about the VRMs not being cooled they are also very weak for a 125w cpu.