980 TI to GTX 1080 ? is it worth it?

Solution
Personally, im keeping my 980 ti hybrid. I dont see any need to upgrade since it maxes 60 fps on all of my games at 1440p. I'd wait to see benchmarks tomorrow then make your decision.

KillSwitch07

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Personally, im keeping my 980 ti hybrid. I dont see any need to upgrade since it maxes 60 fps on all of my games at 1440p. I'd wait to see benchmarks tomorrow then make your decision.

Solution
All I'd say is wait for real benchmarks to come out :p I have an awful feeling these massive gains Nvidia are boasting are under very specific circumstances... I doubt a 1080 will be that much faster than a 980ti in DX11 titles (which accounts for the majority of current games).

Thunderballs

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014

This is the voice of reason.

A sensible person sells their tech before its price drops off a cliff and uses the funds to buy newer tech or buys tech and holds onto it for many years, ignoring new product until something extra special comes along by which time they got value from their purchase.

it is probably not going to be a viable option to hold on to a 980Ti (and many lesser models from AMD and NVidia) and see becasue once the info is out on 1080 pricing and performance it is out and many people will react to it.

It is hard to see 980Ti second hand prices rising after the 1080 is released though so why not sell now and insure your posted item.

KillSwitch07

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015

Or just actually be sensible, and wait for benchmarks. These cards seem to revolve heavily around VR, and the massive performance gain nvidia has been boasting about was more than likley in vr only. We won't know the truth about these cards until the nda is lifted tomorrow.

Well the toms review is up. GTX 1080 is 25 - 33% faster than a 980ti most of the time. The conclusion of the review is it represents the first single card that can game on ultra settings at 4k in current games. With a 980ti (or Fury X) you're forced to dial back the details a bit.

It's certainly a nice card, a lot of money for a modest performance bump though. I'd wait for the gaming variant of GP100 next year as that should be at least 25% faster than the 1080 again.