i3 6100 or i7 950

Solution
If you already own a motherboard and parts to run a i7 950 I would take it.

If you are going out and buying all that buy the 6100. Its a newer platform, and while its less cores they are faster than the older i7 and you can always upgrade that to a new i7 with that board. The i7-950 is a dead older board setup

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If you already own a motherboard and parts to run a i7 950 I would take it.

If you are going out and buying all that buy the 6100. Its a newer platform, and while its less cores they are faster than the older i7 and you can always upgrade that to a new i7 with that board. The i7-950 is a dead older board setup

Solution
the first get i7 is now 5 years old. Uses older outdated RAM, doesn't have USB 3.0, and may or may not have SATA III Too and is PCIe 2.0.

If you are going to be doing gaming, better to get the i3. PCIe 3.0, SATA III, M.2, USB 3.0, Higher clock rate, better at single treading, DDR4 etc etc.

If you have the money get the i3. Find parts for a first get i7 will be hard as none of it will be new unless someone just hung on to it this long (Which some people do. They buy out all kind of stuff when something gets phased out and sells it later).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most i7-950 (X58) boards offered 3rd party USB and 3rd party SATAIII controllers.

DDR3-1600 is still a contemporary memory speed, Most X58 systems would have had 1333 though.

Also easy to overclock the crap out of them, so don't let the stock 3.07Ghz scare you off.

My friend is borrowing my i7-950 setup and put a GTX970 in it. Plays all the modern games.

Only if you know of any game that can take advantage of 12 threads...
Pretty much every takes full advantage of 2 cores some even 3 or 4 cores but that's it,more than that is virtually impossible to find.

rgd1101

Don't

there are more stuff that are running then just the game too.

Unless you run very demanding software alongside the game you won't see any difference,and this is if we are talking about a GPU that won't limit either CPU...
Running other stuff along the game will put more load on the memory the disk and specially on the network if you are playing an online game it will kill performance no matter how many cores you have.