i5 6500 vs I3 6100 + ssd

Fred_pt

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi. So im building a budget gaming pc and i have enough money left for either the i5 6500 or the I3 6100 + samsung 850 evo 250 gb ssd. I already have a 1t hdd so the ssd would just be a luxury.
What do you guys think? I'm really unsure because i've never had a ssd .

Solution
Fred_pt - you're overspending on the board & ram Dropping to a h170 or even a good b150 & dropping the RAM to 2x4gb should give you the budget for both the i5 & ssd aswell.

That's the best compromise you could possibly make on a set budget.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Not knowing the rest of your system or your usage, I would suggest the i3 and SSD for the most noticeable improvement in response times... on a budget. But keep in mind, you'll have to clone the HDD to the SSD if you want to keep everything you have now and not do a clean install.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What are you doing with the computer? If you're interested in gaming performance, you're probably better off with the 6500, although it would somewhat depend on your graphics card. If this is just for typical home use, I think I'd go with the 6300 + SSD.

Fred_pt

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi thank you all for your answers.
I am indeed building a pc for gaming (on a budget) , and i've decided to go with the asus r9 380 stix oc 4 gb, since in my country it costs almost the same as the the 2gb version.
Heres the list, i already have the psu and hdd:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rhCT4D
Any idea on changes for the list?

what psu did you choose ? hope it was at least a 650w gold

this is a full pc build
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzHPmG

since i gather your not overclocking due to the i5 6500 i dropped the ram speed as you need to overclock the cpu to handle higher speeds then 2133mhz

i changed the gpu as you can get a faster one by sapphire its clocked higher
the rest is just case suggestions etc take it with a pinch of salt all of the parts are compatible reason for motherboard change if your not gonna overclock theres no point in a atx micro atx just work as good

Fred_pt - you're overspending on the board & ram Dropping to a h170 or even a good b150 & dropping the RAM to 2x4gb should give you the budget for both the i5 & ssd aswell.

That's the best compromise you could possibly make on a set budget.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Why would he need a 650W Gold PSU? Obviously there's nothing wrong with getting an efficient PSU with some wattage to spare, but even a something like a Seasonic 520W Bronze PSU would be fine.
Not true, you can have RAM with speeds greater than 2133 MHz without an unlocked/overclocked CPU.

520w is to close to the recomended i consider the recomended the minimum and more is better the r9 380 is recomended 500w plus power supplys age in terms of efficiency and a bronze psu rarely has decent components inside it and there usually lower quality and not as good in hot conditions and the 380 isnt a hot card most of these power supplys for example have a max operating temperature at 40c so a 500w in a higher temp inviroment isnt going to operate as high as that all i will say is on the closing of this statement i rather recomend more then the recomended in terms of power besides its never a good idea to cheap out on cooling or power supply

ok i may have got the cpu side wrong however the machine may become unstable or unusable cause your still occing that memory even if its profiled the motherboard might not like it plus its up to the poster if he wants to overclock judging by the cpu choice i doubt it or he would have got a K

The guy already has a PSU, I'm going to side with TJ Hooker here though , with an i5 & a 380 a good quality bronze 500w PSU will give close to 150w spare headroom even with the system fully stressed out.

A gold rated quality PSU is no sign of real quality , there are bronze models that are just as good or better quality tgsn many gold rated models.