R9 290 no display.

Agzar

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Hello.
I have MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G OC. The GPU stopped displaying screen, computer crashes with running card (bios says about GPU problem)

Here is my PC specs:
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i5-6600k
MSI Z170A Gaming PRO
16GB Ram DDR4 HyperX Fury CL15 2400mhz
SilentiumPC Enduro FM1 550W 80+ Gold

Nothing OC'd

On Intel GPU computer runs, but when I install R9 driver, computer can crash in random moment or do BSOD. On uninstall drivers computer sees GPU. GPU-Z also recognizes it.

I dont know why, but its sees memory as Micron memory when it have Hynix memory.

Well... I tried to change BIOS of the card, heat it, nothing seems to work. Any ideas guys ?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
How long has it been working ok? Anything changed since? Have you tried reseating it and re pluggin the power connectors?

Its possible the card has just gone faulty.

Micron own a large amount of SK Hynix I believe, so that could be the reason for the branding.

Agzar

Commendable
May 19, 2016
About 2 years and 3 months. Yes, i reseated it and replugged it, nothing happened.

Here's screen from GPU-Z

28hfn6u.jpg

Well your in luck Agzar.

If the card works ok, and there is no screen corruption.

It does not mean the graphics card is at fault, Even when the card starts to act strange when the Ati graphics driver is installed.

It can mean that the PSU in the system is in fact the cause of the problem Agzar.
Because when you install the Ati driver the power consumption of the card increases as all the functions of the Gpu are enabled.

So you should first check to see if the power supply in the system is of the same age of two years or more or older is not the cause by testing the system with another power supply unit remember if the PSU becomes faulty in any way or due to age losses it`s ability to output enough stable wattage and amps since everything in the system depends on it it could be the answer to the problem of the Graphics card crashing.

If trying a new or more powerful PSU in wattage and amp rating does not cure the problem with the graphics card.

The other two causes to the crashing will be to do with any capacitors soldered to the graphics card board.
Or the Voltage regulators, or Mosfets used for power distribution around the card.

Caps are easy to replace.

It is likely Caps. that need to be replaced, due to excessive heat endurance.
Caps over time loose there ability to hold the correct uF or microfarad rating listed on top of the caps.
causing the card to crash.

If you notice any sort of static like interference on the monitor screen before it stops displaying an image it is likely the cause bad caps not holding enough charge.

Agzar

Commendable
May 19, 2016
It can't be PSU. It's 3 months old. There is no display, not even bios post. Motherboard vga led is on all the time and its suggesting faulty gpu. I looked at electrolitic caps and they look ok.

TRENDING THREADS