FX-6350 Bottleneck GPU?

Tom_46

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Hey guys, so ive got a question revolving a potential CPU bottleneck. Im currently running a FX-6350 with a GTX 760 Ti (OEM) and i will need to upgrade my GPU by the end of the year as it just cant keep up with the games of today anymore. For example it currently doesnt run Black Ops 3 very well. (I know its COD but please dont judge) What i noticed is that my CPU is running between the 94% and 99% utilization whilst running the game (according to the windows task manager). My plans are to upgrade to a GTX 1070 if its out by the end of 2016. So i can play games like Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1. But as my CPU is already running on such a high usage im wondering if it will ''bottleneck'' my potential GPU. And if so, will i need to upgrade my CPU as well? Please dont judge me by the game's i play i know there casual AF but i enjoy them. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

Solution
Okay, so the problem with Black Ops 3 has been resolved, it only uses a maximum of 45% of my CPU now.
What i did was this:
Go into the Black Ops 3 config file, find ''VSync'' and turn it on (change the value to 1)
Then find ''Frameratecap'' and put this to 2 frames below your monitors refresh rate, my monitor is 60HZ so i put the FPS cap to 58.
Then op opend the game and enabled Fullscreen mode, Not Fullscreen bordeless! Just normal fullscreen.

This fixed it for me! Please not that whilst playing in Fullscreen mode the effects of F.lux will be disabled and your screen will be ''Blue'' again.

lodders

Admirable
You are going to need to upgrade your CPU to an Intel i5,
and a 1070 GPU would be a lot better than a 760Ti
Only question is, which should you upgrade first...
Since your CPU is at 99% utilization, it looks like your CPU is bottlenecking your current GPU already!!!

So I suggest you get a 4690k and 1150 motherboard like mine
or a 6600k and 1151 mobo and DDR4 RAM if you can afford the extra money,
then upgrade the GPU when it is available.

Tom_46

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

So you are saying that my FX-6350 bottlenecks a GTX 760 Ti?

lodders

Admirable

IKR, not what I was expecting, but if your CPU is at almost 100%, then it must be the bottleneck!
Each intel processor core is literally twice as powerful as a AMD core, so you would definitely notice the improvement with an i5....

95% usage running Blops 3??
No mate, something amiss there , should be 60-65% usage absolute max - this may be your issue with performance.

Irregardless ,worry about a CPU upgrade when you're ready to upgrade the GPU & not before.come the end of the by year you will have many more options on the upgrade front.

Tom_46

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Could you perhaps tell me what is amiss? What could possible cause this to be happening? Im quite sure all of my cores are unparked.

What's your motherboard model ??

You need to do some stress testing & check temps etc.

The only way I could see it pushing close to 100% usage is if the CPU is dropping clock speed under load & is trying to compensate for this by pushing higher usage.

The most usage I've ever seen on my 6300 overall is 70-80% on GTA V & BLOPS 3 is nowhere near as CPU dependant.

Tom_46

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

My motherboard is a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 How would i do stress testing? Thanks for helping btw :)

Tom_46

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Okay, so the problem with Black Ops 3 has been resolved, it only uses a maximum of 45% of my CPU now.
What i did was this:
Go into the Black Ops 3 config file, find ''VSync'' and turn it on (change the value to 1)
Then find ''Frameratecap'' and put this to 2 frames below your monitors refresh rate, my monitor is 60HZ so i put the FPS cap to 58.
Then op opend the game and enabled Fullscreen mode, Not Fullscreen bordeless! Just normal fullscreen.

This fixed it for me! Please not that whilst playing in Fullscreen mode the effects of F.lux will be disabled and your screen will be ''Blue'' again.

Solution