1080 sli hb bridge vs standered sli bridge?

Nine-Tails

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
What benefits does the hb sli bridge give vs standered? Do we get more fps performance or something? I looked online and i cant find a direct answer on how we benefit from the new pascal sli bridge.

I'm surprised nVidia is still using a bridge at all. AMD did away with them last generation (R9 2XX series).

On topic, from the name I would gather that it should be high bandwidth and allows the 2 GPU's to communicate faster with each other, so I'd expect a smoother SLI experience with less frame rate variance and maybe slightly better overall performance.

However, it's very possible that it's equivalent to the "Founders Edition" which is meaningless, except for getting a reference cooler. Nice Apple move though, renaming "Reference design" to "Founders Edition" and raising the price.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
I remember reading that the new SLI bridge has an increased bandwidth, which is limited considering that the bridge is mostly just for synchronization data between the cards (more than 95% of the data is channeled through the PCI ports). If i recall correctly they was maybe a 0.5 Gbps gain. There IS a gain, but very limited.

monsta

Splendid
The HB does give better performance for SLi than the standard SLI bridge , but some users have put 2 of the standard SLI bridges and get the same performance as the HB Bridge, this only works on Pascal cards.
http://www.hardwareunboxed.com/nvidias-hb-sli-bridge-surprising-gains-gtx-1080-sli-testing-inside/

Nine-Tails

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
After doing a comparitive test i have found only some games benifit from the hb bridge. Fallout 4, witcher 3 and few others i tested but cant recall at the moment. So it seams its selective on the actaul game for a performance benefit with the hb bridge.