100% core usage according to HWMonitor, low CPU usage according to task manager

Gijs__

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Hey guys,

I have a problem with my PC. It randomly shuts down and is very slow. Based on my googling I suspect it to be a CPU temperature problem so I ran HWMonitor to get some more information.

I'm not an expert but I believe there are two red flags in the screenshot below:
1. The temperature of my Intel I5-2500 is way too high
2. The cores show 100% usage and task manager shows not even 10%

Click for screenshot

There are no other users logged in. Also, based on the slow performance currently I believe the 100% core usage is more likely to be true then the task managers view on the usage.

Any idea's on how to solve this? I already tried the following:
- Virus Scan
- Physical check on the fans in the computer
- Cleaning the dust inside the computer

Solution
It also only runs at 800Mhz so speed step/power profile is enabled.
Yes it is way too hot,if you are skilled at all, open up the case with all power disconnected,dissemble the cpu fan and give it a good cleaning.

Gijs__

Commendable
May 22, 2016
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help! I revised the processor and so far it seems to make a big difference.

I disassembled the processor and cooler, cleaning out all dust. I also noticed the cooling paste to have hardened. Not sure if that's how it is supposed to be so I scratched it off and applied new paste on it.

During normal usage while running a virus scanner (like in the screenshot of my original post) the temperature now is around 45 degrees Celsius instead of 90.