FX-8350 Core Temperatures Rise drastically on mild overclock 4.3GHZ, any ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_41

Commendable
May 25, 2016
MY Specs:
FX-8350
Hyper 212 EVO
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound
ASUS M5A99FX pro 2.0 MOBO (latest bios update)
Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650
Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Rosewill CHALLENGER Case (120mm Front Fan, 140mm Top Fan, 120mm Rear fan, 120mm Side fan)

Using Prime 95 (stress test)
CPU-Z , CPUID HWMonitor, AMD Overdrive for monitoring

So i decided to overclock. Tested prime 95 at stock settings, got 42C core and socket 57C after 10 mins. I thought to myself, nice and cool, time to overclock.

watched this video and read through the fx 8350 overclock guide and began to configure my BIOS settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk
http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

Used Stock voltage, 20x multiplier x 215 = 4300 MHZ. and changed all the other recommended settings on the forum/video.
Ran Prime 95, within seconds, the temperature started climbing, about 10-15 seconds later core temp exceeded 62C and i stopped the test.

Reset computer, went into BIOS and decided to change/test at default clock, 20 x 200 = 4000 mhz with all the bios stability changes still intact (CPU Spread spec, cool'n'quiet, cpu LLC, etc.)

Ran prime 95 with the same results, stopped the test after core temp rose to 62 after a few seconds.

i double-checked, triple-checked, load default settings, quad-triple checked all bios settings to make sure they matched the forum/video recommended settings but could not figure out why even a stock clock 4000mhz with the bios stability settings changes make my cpu core temp rise so much, but when i load default bios settings and test again, it stabilizes at Core 41C / Socket 57C after 10 mins of prime 95.

any ideas?

Solution

Prime95 is an aggressive tester and its algorithm increases stress on each pass. I only use it to initially test for 10 mins on small FFT. A real-world tester like Realbench is best to...

Jerry_41

Commendable
May 25, 2016

Fair enough, i was under the impression that the hyper 212 EVO could do a mild overclock based on other people's results. i'm still curious why even though i set the clock back to 4000mhz and ran prime 95 with the bios stability settings, the temps still shot up quickly, maybe LLC too aggressive? Thanks

Prime95 is an aggressive tester and its algorithm increases stress on each pass. I only use it to initially test for 10 mins on small FFT. A real-world tester like Realbench is best to test for stability.

Load Line Calibration is best on high for your CPU but you will increase CPU and VRM temps. hence the need for better cooling.
CPU Current Capability is best set at 120% for better stability at higher OCs
BTW; That video is an excellent tutorial, but look at his cooling setup.

Solution

Jerry_41

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Thanks guys, I was able to get to 4.3ghz , w/ prime 95 running , 55C core temps. Wanted to try 4.4ghz, but it was 2AM, had to go to sleep and work at 8:30,

I turned down my •CPU LLC to medium, and that seemed to work, temperatures no longer shooting up.

But yes all of you are right, any more and I will need a better cooling/power.

But I think I probably get a skylake processor or wait for a ZEN processor to come out :). I honestly just wanted to see how far I could go.

mastergup

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

why he needs a 1000 ore 850w psu, a good 650/750 psu will do the job just fine.

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
Looks like your cooler isn't tight enough or thermal paste wasn't applied properly. Don't use pea-drop method. Spread around CPU with finger or razor blade. Hyper 212 has a grooved plate, the thermal paste will not flow if you put a dot in the center and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.