1080 GTX on PCIe 1.1

Panosded

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hello I own a P5k premium black pearl, with 8GB DDR2 1066 RAM and and Intel Core 2 Quad q9550 2,83GHZ. I got a gift of 600 Euros and i'm planning to place the 1080GTX. Would my system recognize the 1080GTX? Has a pcie 1.1 a video memory limit that can read? I placed yesterday my friends 970GTX and everything worked fine. I have as he said only 5 Fraps less than his PC. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your FPS in some games be lower than HALF of what you'd get with the same GPU and something like an i7-6700K.

(You may want to consider upgrading to a modern i5/i7, or if the budget isn't there buy a GTX1070 instead and put the difference towards upgrading)

Depending on the game.

Here's an example of a game that is demanding on the CPU:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

You'd be right around the bottom of the chart as your per-core is slower than an FX-4300. So in THIS game you'd get about a THIRD of the frame rate on average as the i7-4790K would.

Other games as said would be much higher.
It should work, but I would advise against. A 1080 will be heavily held back in that setup. The CPU is 4 architectures old (that is not counting die shinks, only Yorkfield, Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Haswell, Skylake) and DDR2 bandwidth is also quite lower than today's standard. PCI-E x16 = PCI-E 3.0 x4, which may also limit performance.

Future games will be ever more demanding, so it tends to get worse.

The main point is that you would probably have the same level of performance with a cheaper card. In you shoes, I would use the money for a full system upgrade or save up if it isn't enough for what you want.

Your FPS in some games be lower than HALF of what you'd get with the same GPU and something like an i7-6700K.

(You may want to consider upgrading to a modern i5/i7, or if the budget isn't there buy a GTX1070 instead and put the difference towards upgrading)

Depending on the game.

Here's an example of a game that is demanding on the CPU:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

You'd be right around the bottom of the chart as your per-core is slower than an FX-4300. So in THIS game you'd get about a THIRD of the frame rate on average as the i7-4790K would.

Other games as said would be much higher.

Solution

aNicePlate

Commendable
May 25, 2016

As far as I've seen the only real difference between PCI-E generations is transfer speeds. You will see a slightly lower performance on an older generation but now noticeable. So yes it will recognise it the card normally but with slightly lower performance. However as most people have pointed out your CPU will bottleneck your video card way more than your PCI-E slot. You may have the same performance with a GTX 1070 as a GTX 1080. I would definitely consider upgrading your platform and getting a new mobo and CPU before you look at getting a GTX 1080.