1080 thermal throttle

Solution
By "thermal throttle", I assume you mean decreased Turbo Boost clocks. Real throttling happens when the card decreases it's clocks below its standard stock clocks as a safety measure to prevent damage to the GPU. Throttling will happen when your GPU hits it's thermal threshold, approximately 95c depending on the model.

Decreased Turbo Boost clocks happen when the card hits it's temperature target, called the Turbo Boost Temp Limit, as a part of normal operation. This is a user configurable setting and is usually set between 80c - 84c. For the GTX 1080 the target is set at 84c. This is user configurable, so you can set it at 70c, 80c, 90c, whatever suits your needs, but for overclocking you'll want to raise it.

The point is...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 1080 hasn't even been released yet. That being said, if you're worried about thermals, the only advice I could give at this time would be to avoid the founder's edition cards and wait for partner cards to come out. They typically have better coolers. And will hopefully cost less, at least some of them.

Boom! That's the truth. Who buys these poor performing reference cards? MSI, Asus, EVGA,....will make better coolers. Just wait and get quality.

By "thermal throttle", I assume you mean decreased Turbo Boost clocks. Real throttling happens when the card decreases it's clocks below its standard stock clocks as a safety measure to prevent damage to the GPU. Throttling will happen when your GPU hits it's thermal threshold, approximately 95c depending on the model.

Decreased Turbo Boost clocks happen when the card hits it's temperature target, called the Turbo Boost Temp Limit, as a part of normal operation. This is a user configurable setting and is usually set between 80c - 84c. For the GTX 1080 the target is set at 84c. This is user configurable, so you can set it at 70c, 80c, 90c, whatever suits your needs, but for overclocking you'll want to raise it.

The point is throttling is abnormal, while dialing back on Turbo Boost clocks is part of normal operation.

Solution

Rockets13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

this is huge. is zotac reliable? I haven't ever used anything from zotac

Rockets13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

u think the things will be out 12-1AM Im willing to stay up and purchase one of these bad boys. better cooling means no thermal throttling which means I don't need to worry about water cooling or losing performance.

with that may as well see the hybrid cards got to offer with factory water coolers/ blocks on them

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-1080-Hybrid-m2477670.aspx

that should get you down from a 80c air cooled card to a nice 60c full load or less??

seemed it showed the aftermarket air card like from the hothardware thing showed not much cooling differences ??

''In our early testing, the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked was practically silent – even under load (the fan had a very faint, audible whir when spun up), and temperatures were a non-issue. Under load, the GPU temperature hovered in the high 70’C – 80’C range, a few degrees shy of the default 83’C temperature target.''

then I guess if your going to buy blind and got money burning a hole in your pocket no worries take your lumps when you find its not all its cracked up to be

so many aftermarket cards to come better coolers vrm's clock rates over these first release reference based cards just like before the first aftermarket cards are the same as reference but just a cooler change

then you got to wonder about the NVidia lies to come like with the gtx 970 memory or coil whine issues at first , like the gtx 970 being the first release guinneypig is hard to do at 600 bucks a pop... hard to find I was left holding the bag

Chris_236

Commendable
May 31, 2016

It has been said that FE has premium component. It is reasonable to presume that other third party card will follow this route to ensure product quality. Those on retail for $599 will probably be something like 980ti LE version. I will expect those $599 to use inferior chips that cannot run at high clock. It all depends on life expectancy.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@Chris_236 Nvidia admitted that FE cards do not have specially binned chips. And saying they have "high quality" or "premium" components sounds like marketing fluff to me. I don't know if there'll be any cards right at 599, but I'm confident there will be cards cheaper than 699 that perform at least as good (probably better) than the "premium" FE cards.

Chris_236

Commendable
May 31, 2016

This is not the first video card Nvidia has ever released. It will follow the track of previous cards. History doesn't believe that this time things will be different.

All gpu cut down from the same waffle are born unequally. You cannot change that. Join the lottery or pay manufacturer to get a guarantee. You need to pick one. But AFAIK, manufacturers are selecting better chips for their OC version and for a higher price. Regular ones are just regular ones. Lower quality chips on inferior PCB.