New 970 crashing computer when games launch

KevinTauer

Commendable
May 26, 2016
Hey all, just a quick question about my graphics card, the MSI Limited gaming edition (Gaming 100 ME). i got about 3 days ago, but since then, i've had nothing but issues. I can't really seem to be able to get into my BIOS screen, as it seems to want to freeze the screen when it launches, computer restarts when i launch a game, no blue screen no errors, etc, and a couple of other minor issues. Temps are fine, CPU sits at around 45-55 on load, 35-45 on idle. GPU sits at around 45 idle, 60 load.

Should also mention that I upgraded from an AMD XFX 6970 card, and have also uninstalled all old graphics drivers with DDU.

I'm thinking it's the 700w PSU, but the PSU is also about 6 and a half years old. am i correct in my assumption?

SPECS:
GPU: MSI Limited Gaming Edition GTX 970 (gaming 100ME)
motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h
CPU: Intel i5 3570k 3.4, OC to 3.8 on turbo
PSU is an old xion 700w that came with the original computer
Windows 10

Thanks for any and all help!

Solution
Your PSU is possibly the problem, check this page (http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) to asses how much power do you need in each rail (basically your PSU is a bunch of transformers that take AC and turn it into three kinds of DC, 3.3 volts for sound card and things like that, 5 for usb and things like that ans 12v for cpu and gpu) look how much does your PSU outputs in amperes in each rail and compare it with the calculator results, a single 0.1 A is enough to cause a restart, ideally you should have space specially if you want yo overclock.

ulises314

Reputable
May 25, 2016
Your PSU is possibly the problem, check this page (http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) to asses how much power do you need in each rail (basically your PSU is a bunch of transformers that take AC and turn it into three kinds of DC, 3.3 volts for sound card and things like that, 5 for usb and things like that ans 12v for cpu and gpu) look how much does your PSU outputs in amperes in each rail and compare it with the calculator results, a single 0.1 A is enough to cause a restart, ideally you should have space specially if you want yo overclock.

Solution