950 Pro m.2 vs 850 Evo

Dazinek

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Hello all,

I'm currently debating on which SSD to get... Is the 950 Pro worth the money? Or is the 850 Evo perfectly fine?

Just doing gaming, simple day to day tasks.

Also, I'm a bit confused on how the 950 Pro gets the "rated speeds" do you need to put the chip into one of those PCIe expansion cards? Or does it get the rated speed threw the M.2 Socket on my Z170 board.

Solution
You are wasting your money on the 950 because all the motherboards currently will only run it at SATA 6gb speeds ultimately. And the 950 has throttling built into it as well so it will slow significantly after a few seconds anyway because of heating. Samsung's magician software achieves those mind-blowing numbers because it has a ramdisk program included in it. You can run any SSD at great speeds using any ramdisk program. I run SoftPerfect ramdisk on a laptop with a cheapo Silicon Power SSD and the difference in speed is amazing because the ramdisk program uses your DRAM first to process and transfer files so you get amazing speeds.
Here is a link to an old article that shows 12 different ramdisk programs and you will see numbers that...

CarloR

Commendable
May 26, 2016
I have the 950 Pro (installed in a pcie slot by means of a m.2-pcie card) and the 850 Pro.

These new NVMe ssd bench great with software throwing at them a queue of 30, but with normal tasks I hardly see the difference, unless I am doing massive multiple transfers from my database or video rendering. I don't game much so I wouldn't know about it.

I would get the EVO as well if you don't have any specific needs.

Ronshere

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
You are wasting your money on the 950 because all the motherboards currently will only run it at SATA 6gb speeds ultimately. And the 950 has throttling built into it as well so it will slow significantly after a few seconds anyway because of heating. Samsung's magician software achieves those mind-blowing numbers because it has a ramdisk program included in it. You can run any SSD at great speeds using any ramdisk program. I run SoftPerfect ramdisk on a laptop with a cheapo Silicon Power SSD and the difference in speed is amazing because the ramdisk program uses your DRAM first to process and transfer files so you get amazing speeds.
Here is a link to an old article that shows 12 different ramdisk programs and you will see numbers that match Samsungs on all of them. https://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/
Most of them are free to use.
Just get lots of ram!!

Solution