Will my i5 3450 be good enough for a gtx1070?

EightBitMoose

Reputable
Nov 13, 2015
I've seen a lot of these types of questions on here and have gone through a lot of them but I haven't seen anyone ask about a cpu as old as mine. I play a wide variety of games and want to be VR capable.
Specs are i5 3450
GA-Z68AP-D3 mobo
Gtx 670
16gb 1600mhz hyperX
OCZ ZX 850w 80+ Gold psu.

Will this be okay for a 1070? Should I get a better cpu in the 1155 socket or get a new cpu and mobo?

Thanks
Mike.

Solution
The Oculus rift is not that hard on your CPU so that 3450 will be fine. The biggest enemy of the Rift will be weak GPUs which the 1070 is most certainly not.

EDIT. Please allow me to clarify. The minimum requirements for the Rift suggest a 4590 i5. Your CPU does not fall that far below the minimum specs to justify a full body transplant. A new motherboard would necessitate a new OS. I would leave it as is and upgrade if absolutely necessary.

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016
There will always be a bottleneck somewhere. The question is how much. what is your fps goal? if you game at 144hz you should upgrade, but if you only game at 60hz, then you will be fine. You will still reach 60 fps in almost every game. The only games where you won't, are poorly optimized cpu killers like the new total war warhammer.

The Oculus rift is not that hard on your CPU so that 3450 will be fine. The biggest enemy of the Rift will be weak GPUs which the 1070 is most certainly not.

EDIT. Please allow me to clarify. The minimum requirements for the Rift suggest a 4590 i5. Your CPU does not fall that far below the minimum specs to justify a full body transplant. A new motherboard would necessitate a new OS. I would leave it as is and upgrade if absolutely necessary.

Solution