i5 4590 to i5 4690k worth the upgrade?

Civil420

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015
Good question for fellow gamers: I currently have an i5 4590 with the z97 chipset, so the board is certainly overclock capable, itself being a Gigabyte z97m-ds3h... At any rate, would any of you consider swapping the 4590 to a 4690k a worthwhile upgrade? Would I see any kind of improvement beyond benchmark scores?

Not worth it. Although you might get an extra 10-15% out of the CPU, in games I would expect your gpu to be the limiting factor and not the cpu as that 4690 is more than capable of keeping up with any gpu in any high end game. This means changing to a k will most likely make no noticeable difference.

Civil420

Honorable
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks guys, I appreciate all of you taking the time to answer that. I see a consensus among you all that suggests that considering the fact that gaming is the core focus of this rig, it stands to reason that upgrading is indeed, not worthwhile. I was having a difficult time justifying it to myself, at least in terms of the sheer cost of it. I do enjoy having impressive benchmarks, but not at this substantial price. I'm assuming that I can satisfy my itch to overclock in a couple of years time, hopefully the Haswell prices will become more affordable at that time. Again, great answers, and thank you!

TRENDING THREADS