$3000 laptop or PC?

McCarthy123

Commendable
May 30, 2016
I'm having a big dilemma.

I have a budget of $3000 for a new computer or laptop (I already have the peripherals).

I'm thinking of buying Dell XPS 15, 4k touchscreen, GTX 960M, i7, SSD 516 GB and 16 GB RAM.

But then I realise how much more I can get in a PC (for example getting a GTX 980 instead of 960M).

One on hand, I'd really like to have a good mobile laptop for both entertainment and work (Photoshop, programming, ...) but on the other hand when I think about it, I wouldn't like to waste all that money on a machine that costs so much just because it's mobile. Because I can get much more value in PC but I would prefer something that's mobile.

Can someone give me an objective advice?

Solution
that laptop will give u 10 fps low on 4k or 30 fps med 1080p.

or 4k ultra 60fps with the newest gtx 1080.

1) a small portable pc with insane much power that u can carry around to work and such.
2) a 800 dolalr laptop for ur programming stuff and 2200 gaming monster.
30 ehhh the 3k that uhhh you know gets everything done in a flash.
that laptop will give u 10 fps low on 4k or 30 fps med 1080p.

or 4k ultra 60fps with the newest gtx 1080.

1) a small portable pc with insane much power that u can carry around to work and such.
2) a 800 dolalr laptop for ur programming stuff and 2200 gaming monster.
30 ehhh the 3k that uhhh you know gets everything done in a flash.

Solution

Jamoxploder

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
Your choice mate:

Look, in my opinion if I had that much money I would definitely build an awesome PC which would run better games at higher FPS at higher resolutions at higher settings.

If you want mobility get a laptop.

Or you could make a compromise and build a mini-atx rig.

In the end, your choice mate.

With your budget, buy both.
1. A laptop for portability you can take with you. A Lenovo Y700 with the specs of the dell will be <$1000.
I would buy a less expensive 13" or 14" thinkpad for the superior keyboard, lighter weight and better portability.

2. a good gaming pc.
If you want to play at 4k resolution, you will want a monitor much larger than 15", otherwise text at 4k resoluotion will be all but unreadable. You can buy a 40" 4k monitor for $700. For gaming, few games are going to use more than 2-3 threads. A overclocked i5-6600K will be much stronger as a gamer.