R7 370 4G with R9 270X 4G crossfire, what is the best performance way to do it?

LazerL0rd

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Sol-GT (<-- PC Name):
PSU - Corsair CX750M
CPU - AMD FX-6300
GPU - MSI R7 370 4GB
RAM - 2x Kingston HyperX Savage CL9 1866 XMP 4GB
OS - Windows 10 x64 Home
Monitor - BenQ GL2250HM
Mobo - MSI 970 GAMING
Cooler - Corsair AiO H75 Liquid Cooler
SSD - Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB
SSHD - Segate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive

Important Settings Changed:
CPU - AMD FX-6300 OC'd To 4.0GHz
GPU - MSI R7 370 4GB 'Allowed' To OC Automatically From Raedon Driver
Drives - The SSD Is The Main C: Drive, While The SSHD Is The Secondary D: Drive
SSD - Optimised Using Instructions From Corsair SSD Optimisation Leaflet
BIOS - PCI-E Base Frequency Changed From 100MHz To 107MHz
RAM - NO Memory Errors
Drivers - ALL Updated, Tried Older Ones Too (Which Have Been Wiped Using DDU)

I am thinking of getting a MSI R9 270X GAMING 4G, and I've heard on this forum that you can crossfire it with my MSI R7 370 GAMING 4G. Would it be possible to use the 270X's VGABIOS on the 370 so that when crossfired I can use both. Or is there a modified bios for both that speeds up the 270X's GDDR5 and the 370's Clock Speed. I was also thinking should I just use the 270X as my primary and NOT crossfire, would that have better performance?

Solution
My experiments with that didn't end well; an x bios into a non - x radeon will probably brick it for practical purposes; you can supposedly recover it in dos but people were doing that on windows 7 & 8. You need a freedos on win10. if you load the wrong bios into the wrong card. As I was only playing with r7 250s it didn't bother me much; and I just couldn't be bothered to find dos, a usb stick and flash it. I just plugged in the working vga card and carried on. It's not even worth bothering for the r7 250 anyway.

But question why only a r9 270x? Can't you wait for amd's new gpu in q4/q1 '17? You are likely to want one.

I talked to amd who said from the horses mouth crossfire is only recommended by them with an identical...

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
My experiments with that didn't end well; an x bios into a non - x radeon will probably brick it for practical purposes; you can supposedly recover it in dos but people were doing that on windows 7 & 8. You need a freedos on win10. if you load the wrong bios into the wrong card. As I was only playing with r7 250s it didn't bother me much; and I just couldn't be bothered to find dos, a usb stick and flash it. I just plugged in the working vga card and carried on. It's not even worth bothering for the r7 250 anyway.

But question why only a r9 270x? Can't you wait for amd's new gpu in q4/q1 '17? You are likely to want one.

I talked to amd who said from the horses mouth crossfire is only recommended by them with an identical gpu from the same series & same manufacturer.

Maybe peeps have been able to hack their bioses; but have you actually ever seen any proof of that working?

When amd says 'recommend' you really have to run that through the universal translator to mean ' you really don't have any other choice except to employ an identical gpu for crossfire & fooling with the bioses will brick your cards so don't do it'.

Other peeps have unlocked shaders allegedly; again, have you got any real proof it worked? No. If it was that simple everyone would do it.

Solution