970 HDMI to TV Causing severe flickering issues? Please help

Ewan France

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
Hi, first up thanks for taking the time to read and try and help!

I'm using a TV as my PC's second monitor, I only really use it for playing movies on.

Whenever I play movies though the screen starts to flicker and makes it unwatchable. The audio still comes through the TV fine. I'm on my second HDMI cable at the moment and it doesn't appear to have improved anything.

The problem seems to stop if I swap which HDMI input I use on the TV, however the problem always comes back the same as before.

My graphics card is a GTX 970, and I am using the latest drivers. The TV is a Panasonic TX-42AS500B. Any thoughts on whats causing this or any ways of fixing it?

I've recently done a fresh install of Windows on my PC and that hasn't helped. Also my Fire TV Stick that's been plugged into the same HDMI Inputs does not have the same problem, which makes me worry that it's my GPU causing the problem.

I have tried to attach a video link to demonstrate the problem, hopefully it works.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwyhheU3oY5mYzFlX1FlQzJsd2c

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

EDIT: My main monitor is absolutely fine, no problems ever (using Display Port).
EDIT: The problem is at its worst when playing a video, it rarely does it when just displaying the desktop.

Solution
Does the same flickering happen when not playing a movie (showing only desktop)?
If not - then try a different player:
  • Windows Media Player
    Media Player Classic
    VLC