i7 950 with R9 390 should be upgraded or not

vikashkb

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Currently i have i7 950 cpu with asus p6x98d motherboard, 12 gb ddr3 1200mhz and Raedon R9 390 8GB graphic card. i like to play games like withcer 3, rise of tomb raider, far cry , call of duty series etc.
Do i need to upgrade my CPU to latest i5 6600 or i7 6700 processors with new MB and RAM also. will the upgrade give me significant performance boost or whether my current system can handle all these games

Solution
it's easy to suggest a new system for me but i'd like you to save your hardly earned money while getting the optimal experience from your gaming. So, you say you have heating problems on your CPU. It's easy to fix by purchasing a decent cooling solution and probably get away with it. Perhaps it wouldn't reach extreme performances but it could do what you want from it. With a nice cooler (and probably also applying fresh thermal paste), you can overclock it. What's your goal? you want your game to run at a constant 60fps@1080p? or you are happy with the experience and want to solve the heating problem?

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

Perhaps it's better to try first if you can play those games at your desired settings. i7 950s may still perform decently especially if you overclock it. In my opinion, unless you have a goal in mind (ie achieving higher than average FPS due to your monitor) i'd say your CPU is kind of decent

vikashkb

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I could play far cry primal, rise of tomb raider, in ultra settings with Average fps near 51 in 1920x1080 (my native resolution). however system gets really heated.

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
it's easy to suggest a new system for me but i'd like you to save your hardly earned money while getting the optimal experience from your gaming. So, you say you have heating problems on your CPU. It's easy to fix by purchasing a decent cooling solution and probably get away with it. Perhaps it wouldn't reach extreme performances but it could do what you want from it. With a nice cooler (and probably also applying fresh thermal paste), you can overclock it. What's your goal? you want your game to run at a constant 60fps@1080p? or you are happy with the experience and want to solve the heating problem?

Solution

vikashkb

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Thanks man...that is some solid advice. I will work on heating issues and delay the update until my fps for newer games is unplayable.
Thanks

technoholic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
also a cooler advise would be:
- cooler master hyper 212 evo
- or cryorig h5
- or cryorig h7

PLUS: CPU Thermal paste (probably good idea to refresh it)

these depend on your budget of course. for applying the thermal paste and mounting the new cooler, you can get support from a local PC service shop