i7 3820 upgrade to i5 6600 or i7 6700k ?

fei_hyblade

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
Hi,

Finally thinking to upgrade my gaming rig from i7-3820 to either i5 6600 or i7 6700k

I am looking more about longevity since i only upgrade CPU every few years or so.

1.I am currently using a 980TI, will upgrading my processor from current i7-3820 give me a big boost to my FPS/gaming performance ?

2.Which one will be more future-proof in your opinion ?

Thanks for all the help!

Solution

1: No I don't think it will make much difference, are there any games you are currently having issues with? A few are CPU intensive but 9 / 10 games are graphics card limited.

2: More games are using more threads nowadays, so definitely the i7 (in fact from a 3820 I wouldn't be surprised if the i5 was a down grade). That said I'd personally hang...

1: No I don't think it will make much difference, are there any games you are currently having issues with? A few are CPU intensive but 9 / 10 games are graphics card limited.

2: More games are using more threads nowadays, so definitely the i7 (in fact from a 3820 I wouldn't be surprised if the i5 was a down grade). That said I'd personally hang fire for just a bit. Reasoning: AMD are due to launch Zen later this year, which I think will shake the market up. First Zen cpu's are confirmed as 8 core / 16 thread processors, so I think if nothing else they'll force Intel to drop the price on their higher end 6, 8 and 10 core cpu's to counter. Even if you're only interested in Intel a more competitive AMD has got to improve prices so hopefully we'll get more for our money after it launches.

Solution

fei_hyblade

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Hi! Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I run most of the games on ultra with good fps (60ish or more) although sometimes i noticed a drop/stutter when playing witcher 3 and the Division. I read witcher 3 utilize all the cores so my thought all these time were along the line : "it must be my cpu"

I am not a hardcore fan of intel/amd, whomever can give me performance with good money win my business! Will wait more and see then. Thanks!