FX 8350 temps too high

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016
i recently upgrade from 6300, when i had the 6300 it was overcloked to 4.4 and never past of 60c in prime, but the 8350 with not overclock is getting to 62 to 65c. with those temp i'm not overclocking until i figure out whats the problem

i had the 6300 with 970a g43 mobo and now the 8350 i have 970a ud3p gigabyte

the same noctua cooler nh-u9b, already reapply thermal paste and nothing

is possible that the 8350 has some problem and i should return?

Solution
The temperatures you are getting without stress are higher than I'd expect, even with that cooler.. You have a 125W CPU, compared with the older 95W CPU.

You have an excellent motherboard and the temperatures are low enough that I would want to look very carefully about how the cooler was mounted to the motherboard , how the airflow in the case worked, and whether the cooler fan was running at the proper speed

A CPU cooler upgrade will be needed no matter what, if you plan to overclock your CPU, but I'd like to know why it's so hot now.

I do not think it is a CPU problem. They are far rarer than CPU cooling issues..

xXCrossfireXx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Are these temps at idle or at load?

If the temps are idling at 62-65°C, danger, your CPU is probably defected somehow and should be RMAed, but first be sure that the cooler is functioning properly, the thermal paste is put on right, the fans are on correctly, the cooler is mounted correctly, etc.

If these are load temps, you should probably get a new cooler, as the 8350 is not exactly the coolest CPU... If you were to continue having problems with a new, better cooler though, then you should definitely RMA the CPU, after doing all the checks I mentioned in the paragraph above.

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016

the 62-65c is with prime95 running but stock clock (4.0hz), the FX6300 that i had was running 4.4 and didn't reach 60c with prime95, but maybe is like you said this cpu gets hotter than 6300. i'm thinking to buy liquid cooling system but first i just want to know is the processor is at normal temp or is something wrong with it

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016

amd overdrive display the same temp, when is at 64 or 65c the thermal margin is at 5 or 6c

The temperatures you are getting without stress are higher than I'd expect, even with that cooler.. You have a 125W CPU, compared with the older 95W CPU.

You have an excellent motherboard and the temperatures are low enough that I would want to look very carefully about how the cooler was mounted to the motherboard , how the airflow in the case worked, and whether the cooler fan was running at the proper speed

A CPU cooler upgrade will be needed no matter what, if you plan to overclock your CPU, but I'd like to know why it's so hot now.

I do not think it is a CPU problem. They are far rarer than CPU cooling issues..

Solution

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016

thanks, i reapply thermal compound arctic silver, and temp is better now

my case is not very good, i had to open both sides and the front and the temp got lower (like 6c) i have to buy another one for install a liquid cooler anyway, im thinking to buy the nztx kraken x61 and phantek enthoo pro m or nztx s340

but i wanted to know is the processor could has some problem, thanks