R7 370, Display driver stopped responding but has recovered

Mikerame

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
Hi, i bought an asus r7 370 2gb 2 months ago and everything was fine, but since a few days i get tons of crashes of "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered". Nothing changed driverwise. I get it in more than one game so its not game specific. Sometimes it lasts for 2-3 seconds but sometimes i have to even reboot with reset because the pc freezes completely. I tried a lot of things but nothing has worked so far.
Specs: asus a88xm-plus, athlon x4 880k, 8gb kingston hyperx ram, asus radeon r7 370 2gb, cooler master b500 v2 500w psu.
If anyone knows a legit solution, please help because its getting really annoying.

Mikerame

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
yeah, windows 10, i tried clean install with ddu and amd cleaner tool, previous crimson, rolled back to catalyst, reinstalled mobo drivers and reinstalled then uninstalled gpu tweak, the only thing left is the tdr delay. i was hesitant to try it

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
I just troubleshooted this problem on mine

I have the sapphire oc version

I added the tdrdelay to the registry
ran a registry cleaner - wise reg. cleaner to be exact
re-installed direct x
installed amd's 2nd of june driver update 16.6.1

I did also bump up the power a bit on my overclock and took down the setting 5mhz on the gpu

gpu clock 1085mhz
mem clock 1540mhz
power 10%
fan 90%
Temp Max. 54c

overclock is now stable

With my cpu going at 4.9ghz, @ddr3 2400 on the memory & a 10% overclock on my gpu the average fps in tomb raider (2015 one) is 37.7

With no overclock it's about 19-24fps. On Ultra settings.

I haven't yet tried the ultimate setting; it's only one different value from ultra.

The game is pretty smooth but it does jump around a lot; I think the lighting on tomb raider is quite demanding; dark scenes can hit 60fps.

Plus I have task switched to reply to this thread; if it was going to stop responding it would

It's cleared up on mine with a 10% overclock no probs. as I said taking the above steps.

I just revved it up to 15%

gpu 1125mhz
mem 1725mhz
power 15%
fan 90%

Max temp 58c

No probs.

Frame rate just shy of 60fps on ultimate

The anti-aliasing is only on 1x fxaa; I had it on 4x before & I turned up the rendering to enhance/supersampling/high in crimson.

Can task switch no probs.

I think the r7 370 likes a bit of extra power. Just turn up your fan as well.

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
Have you tried these steps? The other guy who was plagued with this problem just ticked a best answer for me:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3083073/display-driver-stopped-responding-constantly.html#xtor=EPR-8809

whizzo! If I can remember the original thread that put me on the trail of that I'll post it here (edit oh wait it was this one lol Weberdarren is pretty much on the money with those links)

I just searched it and found this thread and I read a bit more down a those links & then found what worked for me; as the other guy in the other other thread had a similar setup with the same problem but an arguably lighter load & less stress I reckoned it must be the same sort of thing; garbled settings/junk data in the registry

Plus I did another benchmark in tomb raider 2015 with my overclock and got an average 40fps on ultimate with 2x fxaa; stock manages a pretty feeble 19-24 fps.

So it has a bit of go in it.

Mikerame

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
well, doesnt work, the error just happened, and tdrdelay causes "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware", i did all the steps mentioned above, uninstall, ddu, dx, gpu driver

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
Best open a ticket with Asus; sounds like more of a hardware problem. if I can run this on a 4.9ghz overclocked system with a 15% overclock on the gpu which is much more heavily loaded than what you're trying to do: it's got to be a hardware error.

On the off chance I found another way to replicate the problem: if you are running low on virtual memory some games might crash with this error

I moved my page file to a secondary storage disk a while ago & I thought to move it back to the ssd but it was low on space & just one game started sputtering & when I moved the page file back to the storage disk it worked ok

That's all my ideas so far.

Mikerame

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
i dont want to celebrate in advance, but i reinstalled the windows two days ago and i didnt get the error since then. i suspect something that may be true, may be not. When i used ddu, i saw i have some files left from my old gpu, a geforce one ( you know i bought the gpu separated after the rest of the pc and used it with the geforce card, then swapped it with this r7 370 later). Maybe it had some bad effects.

FrankenDesign

Respectable
Apr 28, 2016
I don't think it was the residual geforce files; you removed them with ddu but the error persisted until you re-installed windows: There whatever configuration problem, possibly outdated drivers, or just corrupted registry entries or files on the disk seems to have been blown away

I guess you could also have tried driver booster 3 to scan your system

Funnily though I have just started getting this problem on one game in my inventory that I play very rarely: need for speed 2. Sometimes I just feel the urge to give an old skool racing game a whirl; I can run tomb raider perfectly well with a 15% overclock on my gpu and a 9% overclock on my cpu

but this game won't last 5 minutes with the gpu at stock speed

Some I think are better coded than others; software can be a factor. Since there are many causes to the same error you just have to keep going through a process of elimination.

Mikerame

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
i dont know, i could try some overclock too but i dont feel the need for it now. my asus runs at 1050 mhz, and its at about 75 degrees at full load, vents at about 50%, so i guess it could bear some extra power

Mikerame

Reputable
Mar 26, 2016
ok, its screwed again, the problem happened 3 times already in 3 different games. im thinking about "'removing" the factory overclock and underclock it to 1000 mhz from 1050, but i dont know if i shall lower the vram frequency and gpu voltage too or its fine to just lower the gpu clock.
and about the program, i used gpu tweak 2 from asus, but ive read a lot about msi afterburner too. which one should i use?
and btw is it even worth to try to underclock?