Is a 650 Watt PSU enough to power an i7 4790k and r9 290x?

TMalley5

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Hi, I'm working on a new build and am wondering if I can use my current PSU in my new build, as the title says, it includes an i7 4790k and an R9 290x. My power supply is an X-Viper 80+ Bronze

Solution
A quality 650w Psu will be enough to power that build, yes. If you are going to overclock the Cpu, then things might get a little tighter, also depending on what your other components are. At stock however, no worries.

As was said earlier though, ditch the Psu and upgrade to a better quality item. Won't have to break the bank either, as 70 dollars is plenty to provide you with a good reliable unit.
That's a Powercool PSU? Not at all, Tier 5. Avoid IMMEDIATELY. These units are highly unsafe to use. No such protections added, very thin gauge wiring used, false advertising and too much to list. Reference to a higher tiered unit for a better, money saving and a much safer unit. For your safety's sake, please don't order or pick one up for use in your system. These units are a potential fire hazard and could even kill you, let alone your system.

PSU Tier list
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

A quality 650w Psu will be enough to power that build, yes. If you are going to overclock the Cpu, then things might get a little tighter, also depending on what your other components are. At stock however, no worries.

As was said earlier though, ditch the Psu and upgrade to a better quality item. Won't have to break the bank either, as 70 dollars is plenty to provide you with a good reliable unit.

Solution

TMalley5

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Thanks for the info guys, Really helps a lot! Could you recommend any of these PSU's?

- EVGA GQ Gold Hybrid Modular 210-GQ-0750-V3 ATX PSU - 750 W
-COOLERMASTER G750M Modular ATX PSU - 750 W
-CORSAIR CX750 Fixed ATX PSU - 750 W

Would like something semi-future proof. Thanks!

TMalley5

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

The PC build atm is as follows.

-i7 4790k
-hyper 212 evo cooler
-MSI z97 Mobo
-Radeon R9 290x with crossfire in mind down the road
-8gb X-jaws ram
-EVGA GQ 750watt PSU
-NZXT h440 case

The EVGA superNOVA GS 750w is in my price range, would it be a good idea to opt for that if i had OC'ing and Crossfire 290x's in mind?

TMalley5

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Sorry I really didn't mean to down vote that and it won't let me change it, I'm new to this. What is a good skylake for around €300. That's what I'm getting the I7 for

Going Corsair, 650W PSU will be more than enough. I personally have the Corsair RM650 and it works excellent in a seriously overclocked system which (without overclock) is kinda like yours in terms of power usage. moreover, I was using Corsair HX520 in this system with slight overclock and it was running fine for a couple of years of gaming :)

TMalley5

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

My total Budget atm is €1,000 excluding RAM since i already have 8gb's. Whats currently on the table is the i7 4790k and the Z97 Mobo for €400 but like I said if I can get something newer with good performance and similar price I can go with that. The PSU, Case, and CPU fan come to €300 and the 290x is around €250 - €300. again if there are better options out there it would be great to know. Id also like to have the option to crossfire in the future but as for now its fine not to.

p.s I also have a HDD, SSD, from my current system.

Something else worth mentioning is, since im in Ireland, some parts are quite difficult to get locally meaning i have to purchase through amazon which can be more expensive due to pound to euro conversion and shipping costs.