Is a 430 watt power supply enough?

acvn

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
So I am building a computer and I was wondering if the EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply is enough for my build below.

CPU: Intel core i3-6100 3.7GHz

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0

Solution

There really isn't such a thing as "breathing room", at least in a generalized sense. "430W" PSU itself is very generalized. Did you know there is no standardization as to how the labelled wattage number is even made? That's why we have power supplies that blow up 200W below their labelled wattage and others that can maintain a power of 100W higher than their labelled wattage.

You'll find that what's really important is the voltage stability and build quality of the PSU all around. A power supply is not a squirt gun that can run out of juice - that doesn't happen. A power supply won't run out of power, as all...

There really isn't such a thing as "breathing room", at least in a generalized sense. "430W" PSU itself is very generalized. Did you know there is no standardization as to how the labelled wattage number is even made? That's why we have power supplies that blow up 200W below their labelled wattage and others that can maintain a power of 100W higher than their labelled wattage.

You'll find that what's really important is the voltage stability and build quality of the PSU all around. A power supply is not a squirt gun that can run out of juice - that doesn't happen. A power supply won't run out of power, as all it does is converts energy from the power plant and distributes it to your computer.

So how much breathing room does it have? Until it shuts down from a protection circuit from being overloaded. Manufacturers put protection circuits inside the PSU that do things like shut down the unit if the current is too high. Point be told, what is important in a power supply is its quality, not the number on the label.

The EVGA 430W is a mediocre power supply. Could it handle something like a GTX 1080? Indeed it can. Would I recommend it? No.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Recommended wattage for a gtx950 is 430w. Since most low wattage psus are made to power lower need pcs, there's generally not as much headroom to them as with higher powered psus designed for over clocking and heavy gpu usage. Expect somewhere around 100w extra above what your pc actually uses. The EVGA isn't the best built psu by a long shot, but for its intended purpose it'll fit just fine