R9 380 "Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has recoverd" while multitasking

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello,

I'm having troubles with my R9 380. It keeps crashing and recovering when I have a stream (twitch) or video up on one screen and a game (league of legends) up on the other screen.
Rarely but it happens the GPU crashes when only the stream is on. Since i have the new GPU i also notice while a stream is on and the game starts loading, the stream slows down alot and the sound is very jittery for a few seconds, its like my pc is have trouble multitasking. My old GPU didn't have this issue?! Could it be my background tasks are not getting enough resources to function properly?

PSU: 750W mastercooler
CPU: AMD FX-8370, 4 GHz with custom cooler ( a big one, max temp 45°c)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3, socket AM3+
MEM: 4x 4Gb Crosair DDR3-1600Mhz (bought 2 times separately in a set)
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380 stock settings (running max 60° while crashing) latest crimson
HD: A 240 Gb SSD

everything has stock settings, nothing is tampered with.

Previously running this setup with an older GPU on WIN7, no problems.
Running this setup with older GPU on WIN 10, no problems
Running this setup with new GPU on win 10, problems
-> so this would already indicate the new GPU is the issue <-

What I have tried:

- Reinstall drivers
- Install older drivers
- Clean win 10 Install with new GPU
- Reinsert GPU in slot
- Remove RAM sticks and try them one by one, all have the same issue so its not the mem
- TDR setting in Regedit to 8 seconds (it just takes longer to crash but system freezes during the watchdog timer)
- Cry in a corner
- Do some gardening outside to cool down

I've looked trough numerous forums but nothing has worked so far. The person solving this gets a reward. although the reward remains to be defined...

Mitch

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
its an older one... I know its a 750 Watt PSU from the brand "mastercooler or is it coolermaster" But I should check when I'm home to see what type it is.

I have to admit that its the only part in my pc that I haven't updated in 4-5 years. all the rest is kinda new...

could this be the problem? it would surprise me... sometimes it crashes while doing lowlife tasks so there shouldn't be high power consumption and my new GPU doesn't use more power then my old.

What could happen if your PSU can't cope with the load is:

Bad 3D performance
Crashing games
Spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
Freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down

It's almost 5 years old, so my guess would be the PSU, check which model it is. Try another PSU in there.

BBogdan90

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
The problem is within the GPU. You have to send it back to warranty and have it replaced.

I had the same problem with an Sapphire R9 280x Trixx.

You simply cannot fix the problem. The GPU is faulty!

Send it back and buy another one.

Cheers!

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Is there a way to rule out my PSU without purchasing a new one straight away? Underclock GPU and CPU, remove some RAM, and try again? If I can do that I can try to send it back under warranty...

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Can you specify "i had the same problem"? did they acknowledge a failure? What did you try to fix ti?

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I just found out i made a mistake on the PSU... its actually 550Watt and 6 years old. (I looked into it). Does this increase the chance that the PSU is the issue even more so that you're 99% certain?

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

its a GX550, but when i sum up my power usage I only get around 400/450 Watt.

I know the capacitors run dry and yeah after 6 years of 5-10 hours running daily it could be .... could it be .... I hope so. in the meanwhile I ordered a 750W from Coolermaster

BBogdan90

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
My driver kept crashing while i was playing games. My main game was DOTA 2. It kept crashing randomly.

First of all i reinstalled windows. I reinstalled the driver, i downgraded my windows version. i did all of these and the problem didn't go away. I've updated the bios (mobo + gpu) and still no success. I even overclocked, undervolted, underclocked everything. Still, no fix. I switch my PSU. No fix. Trust me, i tried them all, searched all forums and couldn't fix the issue. After 2-3 months of trying i finally decided to send it back to warranty. They acknowledge the problem and send the card back to the manufacturer. Meanwhile i was given my money back, because they didn't have a same card in stock. I bought the card from an on-line store from my country (Romania).

I remember reading on forums that a lot of people with the same AMD card had the same problem. The only fix was to replace the card. Hope i was useful.

Which PSU is that?

Mitch0rz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
So the PSU replacement was not the solution... unfortunately.

Another IT guy I know said to stop using firefox for a while and try chrome. He said that I could also put off hardware acceleration on firefox, which I thought I already did to try and fix the problem. Anyway until now no crashes except for when I opened up firefox for 2 minutes and had a crash, which made me think the origin is on firefox's side... (or the combo of win10, my new gpu and firefox not wanting to play together)

Still haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly but I might have the chance tonight.

Will keep you guys posted.

Mitch