960 and 760 SLI

Solution

1) You would insert your GTX 960 into the top PCI-E x16 slot

2) Plug your HDMI/Displayport/DVI cable into the GTX 960 only, not the GTX 760

3) If you wanted to use your GTX 760 as a PhysX card you would plug it in to the PCI-E x16 slot that is under the slot where you inserted your GTX 960

3a) Right click on the windows desktop, click Nvidia control panel, click...

proawesome9000

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

So I can put them in the same board successfully with a 850W gold PSU and get a slight performance increase?

And would I need to put either display cable in the 760 and do I need the SLI bridge?

The games that do support hardware Physx are few and far between. I wouldn't bother. Not worth the overhead.

opio

Distinguished
May 10, 2013

1) You would insert your GTX 960 into the top PCI-E x16 slot

2) Plug your HDMI/Displayport/DVI cable into the GTX 960 only, not the GTX 760

3) If you wanted to use your GTX 760 as a PhysX card you would plug it in to the PCI-E x16 slot that is under the slot where you inserted your GTX 960

3a) Right click on the windows desktop, click Nvidia control panel, click on "sli, surround, PhysX" , on the right side of the window you would click the drop down menu and dedicate your GTX 760 to PhysX

NOTES
1. You would not use an sli bridge as the cards cannot sli, they are of different architectures.
2. An 850w Gold PSU is more than enough for your needs. You could sli three GTX 960 cards together and still have wattage to spare.
3. It is true that not a whole lot of games use PhysX, but if I were you, I'd still use it as a PhysX card; a lot of benchmark software use PhysX, and like I said, you have more than enough wattage.

To answer your question: "So I can put them in the same board successfully with a 850W gold PSU and get a slight performance increase?"
The answer is yes, for games that use PhysX you would see a very notable increase in performance.

Tips & Tricks
If you have 2 monitors you could dedicate the GTX 960 to the monitor you use to game and dedicate the GTX 760 to your secondary monitor.

Solution