i5 6600 integrated Graphics will not show in devices

Rich4rd

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Hello everyone!

Before I describe my problem, something similar was discussed here. There might be difficulties with my warranty, so that is really my very-very last resort.

So, I have bought a desktop PC with i5 6600 3.3-3.9 and GTX 970 Nvidia. Windows 10 64 bit. It is called Lenovo Y700 (90DF003BMK)
I have plugged my monitor in the Nvidia slot and at the same time in the other one, which I assume belongs to the proccessor. (lame, I know).

In device manager under graphics adapters I only see the Nvidia. When I check the Nvidia Control panel, I do not have the option of assigning different processor for each software, again only Nvidia. When I right click on desktop, there is no "resolution" option as it used to be when I had integrated and nvdia card on my old laptop.

I would like to set integrated graphics for some software, videos and desktop use, as I believe it should be more than sufficient and it would prolong the life of the Nvidia card, lower the fan noise and perhaps even lower the electricity bill by a few bucks. Free beer, whatever, but my PC is on almost 12 hours a day, so it may make some difference.

I obviously thought drivers were at fault here, so I tried downloading something from intel website, but an error appeared, telling me that my system does not meet minimal requirements. I tried running it as admin, too.

So I googled a bit and found out that sometimes it is disabled in BIOS by default. So I went there and the only thing that looked like it might be doing that was a disabled option on Intel Virtualization - no idea what that actually does. So I enabled that, rebooted and nothing happened.

So now I am all out of ideas and I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks for your time.

Solution
When a dedicated graphics card is plugged in, the integrated GPU is disabled. So for using it like switchable GPUs, I don't think that's possible, only seen that on laptops. It won't pull much power, so keep it the way it is. No noticable savings either way :lol:

Starcruiser

Honorable
Here's the best way to get the proper drivers for your integrated Intel graphics first off: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
Do you have 2 separate monitors plugged in, or the same one plugged into both the discrete and integrated GPU?
Nvidia Control Panel will only be able to manipulate Nvidia products, so it won't see your Intel IGP (Integrated Graphics Processor). Resolution in Windows is now under "Display Settings", and you have to click "Advanced Display Settings" from there.

Rich4rd

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Hello and thanks for your reply.

- I have one monitor plugged in both (at first it was only plugged in the Nvidia slot, then I plugged it to the other one as well, as I was trying to fix it).
- That utility you have sent gives me similar error - there are no drivers for your product. (run as admin)
- In Nvidia control panel, you can assign graphic adapter for each software, so if you have both Nvidia and Intel HD Graphics, it should show you the option to assign Intel HD to a particular application. But it does not :(

On Dell PC's you have to make sure Multi Display is enabled in the BIOS.

Also try this

Remove your 970, boot your PC using only onboard, then make sure it installs the drivers.

Power off

install 970 but DON"T plug any monitors into it. Only the intergraded.

Then once it is booted up it should see both. Now plug your monitors into where you want them to.

Now also keep in mind its is only Laptops that are really able to switch between Discreet and onboard graphics. Desktops, if you don't want to use the 970, gotta yank it out. Even if you disable it in device manager and enabled it when you want it will still be on, still have power to it. Also just using it for daily stuff isn't going to put any wear and tear on it.

Starcruiser

Honorable
I would try a CMOS reset and see if you can get the system to recognize the IGP. You can either remove the small battery from the motherboard (while it's unplugged) and press the power button for 15 seconds, or on some boards there is a jumper or button you can use to clear the settings.

Rich4rd

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
I have just tried something - I unplugged the HDMI to Nvidia and booted the PC with only VGA cable connected to the integrated card. Computer started with message "No Signal" on screen. I let it be for some time, hoping it would install the hardware, but it did not. Anyway, it looks like a real problem now, not just a variation of very lame user, which is good to know.

I tried to have a look at the CMOS reset but I dare not meddle with it while warranty still may be an option, same goes for removing the Nvidia card. I have little experience with hardware and a lot of experience with bad luck.

Anyway, I think my best course of action now is to wait for my friend who has bought the same machine. If the problem is the same, I think I will let it be. If not, I better hope I have not screwed up the warranty...

Rich4rd

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Why not? I mean, it is about the apps that run on the monitor - I think I should be able to choose which graphics adapter to use, right?

Starcruiser

Honorable
The Nvidia Control Panel will only be able to control Nvidia GPUs, as I stated earlier.
Also, as drtweak mentioned, switching between the IGP and discrete GPU is only really used in laptops.
Only running the GPU up to higher temperatures will cause your card to wear, which usually is done from gaming. I'm assuming you want to use the GPU for all your games, so switching would be useless.

When a dedicated graphics card is plugged in, the integrated GPU is disabled. So for using it like switchable GPUs, I don't think that's possible, only seen that on laptops. It won't pull much power, so keep it the way it is. No noticable savings either way :lol:

Solution

Rich4rd

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Really? So there actually is no problem and it is as it should be? Can someone confirm?

Starcruiser

Honorable
Most systems that are not laptops will want to disable the IGP when a dedicated GPU is present.
Also, power savings will be negligible, if not non-existent.
You can check if your IGP is still working right by removing the GTX card.

Rich4rd

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
Ah, right... Sorry then for creating useless thread - or perhaps not, maybe someone used to laptops will have similar "problem" and this will calm them down :)

So, thanks for your time and help, you are amazing!

Did ya try booting without the 970 installed all together? And ever since the 2nd Gen Corei you SHOULD be able to do IGP and Descret (assuming the PC maker allows you). You can do with with newer Dells, BUT in order for it to work you must boot with ONLY the onboard graphics and with the Discrete graphics removed. Then boot, install drivers, then power off, plug in GPU, power on, then add second monitor.

But as someone said if you are running only 1 monitor it is pointless and you want to keep the Wear and tear down on the video card. The only way to do that is remove it completely when you aren't using it.

When i had my GTX 480 that is what I did. Had a GT610 i used when i wasn't doing anything. Then when i wanted to play games i powered down, swapped in my 480 and booted back up. Now with my 960 and it being super quite and way cooler than the 480 I don't bother anymore.

PC-4LIFE

Respectable
Nov 14, 2016

You calmed me down :)

Way to resurrect a 6 months old thread