Would a I3 4170 bottleneck gtx 970

Nick_54

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
as of now I have a gtx 960 and a I3 4170. I'm looking for better performance, and thinking about purchasing a gtx 970. Is this a good decision or should I not because it would be a waste paired with this CPU?

Solution

Keep your 960 and upgrade to an i5 for now if you want your whole system to benefit. If you just want better graphics in games, then go with the 970 now and eventually get an i5. You don't necessarily need the i5, however, you will love the speed it brings to the overall system.

jdcranke07

Honorable

Keep your 960 and upgrade to an i5 for now if you want your whole system to benefit. If you just want better graphics in games, then go with the 970 now and eventually get an i5. You don't necessarily need the i5, however, you will love the speed it brings to the overall system.

Solution

Nick_54

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
well, all i want is fallout 4 to run 60 but it seems nothing can do that, so let me give you an example if right now im playing witcher 3 around high settings at 45 fps, what wold buying a 970 do for me and how badly would an I3 hold it back?

jdcranke07

Honorable

In regards to gaming, the GPU is most important. It will allow for better quality graphics processing at higher frames per second (fps). The CPU will help with fps marginally. Mostly the CPU helps with pulling data from your SSDs/HDDs and sending that data to your GPU(s). Right now if you want higher fps, higher screen resolution, or graphics in-game, then go with the 970 or even a 980 or wait for the 1070 to come out. But, if you want your whole system to benefit and keep the same GPU performance, get an i5 or i7 to upgrade from your i3. For games and only games, then GPU is the best upgrade for you right now.

jdcranke07

Honorable

Your i3 will be fine for gaming, but you would love how an i5 or an i7 would feel overall. It makes a big difference in day-to-day tasks and if you ever plan on rendering or editing media files, an i7 is manditory due to their hyper-threading.