FX 8320 Overclock 4.8Ghz

TheBigWerewolf

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
I have the amd fx 8320 Black Edition and when I overclock it over 4.7ghz with voltage at 1.60V black screen appears in boot and I have to reset CMOS. If I oc at 4.8 with voltage at auto it boots just fine and max voltage goes to 1.45V. Why this happens?
My specs:
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
Sapphire R9 390 Nitro (Without overclock)
2x HyperX Fury Blue 8GB DDR3-1866MHz
Noctua NH-D15

Solution
Because as much as to when you overclock a cpu.
You can also over volt it where it will produce crashing.

If you can get the cpu to work stable at 4.8Ghz @ 1.45v when tested with a prime 95 cpu stress test for an hour or more.
Without it crashing or your system freezing, then you did very well.

As a bit of advice if you manually set all of the over clocking you did for the FX 8320 cpu and it locked up.

Then the likely cause is because you changed the base frequency value set at 200Mhz.
If you did this, as much as changing the cpu multiplier value of the FX 8320 cpu you have.

The black screen would of been down to the fact that when you set the multiplier value of the cpu.
It also overclocked the memory of your system as it relies on...
Because as much as to when you overclock a cpu.
You can also over volt it where it will produce crashing.

If you can get the cpu to work stable at 4.8Ghz @ 1.45v when tested with a prime 95 cpu stress test for an hour or more.
Without it crashing or your system freezing, then you did very well.

As a bit of advice if you manually set all of the over clocking you did for the FX 8320 cpu and it locked up.

Then the likely cause is because you changed the base frequency value set at 200Mhz.
If you did this, as much as changing the cpu multiplier value of the FX 8320 cpu you have.

The black screen would of been down to the fact that when you set the multiplier value of the cpu.
It also overclocked the memory of your system as it relies on the base setting of 200 Mhz also.

In other words you may have overclocked the memory of the system too far over it`s 1866 Mhz speed rating.
And that was the cause of the system refusing to boot.

So leave the base clock for memory set at 200 Mhz.
Or alter it if set higher than 200 Mhz for memory.

1.6v is the maximum core voltage any FX based cpu can reach as a max.
But you never under any condition set it to the 1.6v value.

1.5v to 1.55v are the maximum safe voltages for stability Werewolf .

Solution

TRENDING THREADS