FX-6350 / RX 480 Bottleneck?

Tom_46

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Hey guys, so im going to have to upgrade my GPU by the end of the year in order to be able to play the new games that are coming out. Infinite Warfare, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 for example. So i was thinking of getting the RX 480 8GB. But im wondering if my CPU (FX-6350) will bottleneck it. I hope someone here knows more about this than i do.

My system.

FX-6350
GTX 760
12GB DDR3
120GB SSD
3TB HDD

Thanks in advance guys!

Solution
it will run the card fine and the cpu will probably be the bottleneck since it is rather weak. how much it may hurt is unknown since the cards are not out yet. on the 29th we can start getting reviews. probably be a couple weeks after that before someone does a cpu sampling test on it. good news is if you are waiting until years end anyway, there will be plenty of time for us to know exactly what the effect will be.

ask again in a few weeks and we can probably answer this question better :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it will run the card fine and the cpu will probably be the bottleneck since it is rather weak. how much it may hurt is unknown since the cards are not out yet. on the 29th we can start getting reviews. probably be a couple weeks after that before someone does a cpu sampling test on it. good news is if you are waiting until years end anyway, there will be plenty of time for us to know exactly what the effect will be.

ask again in a few weeks and we can probably answer this question better :)

Solution
It's going to be very game dependent, your already going to be cpu limited in certain games that can't use more than 2 cores, and/or that don't respond well to AMD's cpu design. Upgrading to an 8350 isn't going to do a lot for you, maybe consider overclocking if you have a good motherboard. It's hard to say how future games react to certain cpu's but in general, newer games are getting better at making more use of many-core cpu's. I would say overall you are going to be bottle-necked, but we wont know till this rx 480 is released and benched properly.