Which 1080 should I buy?!

Shnuggles

Reputable
May 17, 2015
So with all the non-reference GTX 1080's that got announced, which one is the absolute best one? *Money's not an issue* so I am looking for the best 1080 I can get.

Solution
none of them are the best. every single custom card reviewed was within a couple fps of every other one!! anyone telling you otherwise does not know what they are saying. to verify, look here. every model is listed with specs and reviews to every review available!! the high end watercooled ones won't be any better performance than the ones out now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902597

nvidia has limited the cards a lot and not a single one is able to perform any better than any other one. even an oc'ed FE card matches the custom ones, however they run hotter and louder to do it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
none of them are the best. every single custom card reviewed was within a couple fps of every other one!! anyone telling you otherwise does not know what they are saying. to verify, look here. every model is listed with specs and reviews to every review available!! the high end watercooled ones won't be any better performance than the ones out now.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3047729/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1000-series-megathread-faq-resources.html#17902597

nvidia has limited the cards a lot and not a single one is able to perform any better than any other one. even an oc'ed FE card matches the custom ones, however they run hotter and louder to do it.

Solution

jtk2515

Distinguished
Their is Thermal throttling on the OCed FE cards. I enjoy water cooling because it is quieter. That being said these cards OC poorly. So your not going to see much difference in terms of fps FE vs AM. But if you want a OCed card not running at 70% fan speed i'd get one with a water block and try for the silicon lottery. If your going to dollar value you would of asked a different question.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you are right but it still does not make any difference for overall performance other than a couple fps. custom cards are cooler and quieter and cheaper making them a no brainer over an FE. but don't think you're gonna see any massive performance increase with any model of 1080. unless someone creates a custom bios lifting voltage limits and nvidia let the card hit stores, you won't see anything different between card models. sucks but it's true.

TRENDING THREADS