i3 6100 cooling options?

Eroge

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
So originally I was going to buy an $1100 from Cyberpower because I thought it would be nice to have someone else do "professional" cable management and they always have some "free" liquid cooling deal going on. Basically I've never been proud of how my custom PCs look when I put them together myself and was close to paying the premium to get one of those "YouTube ready" builds where everything looks flawless and aesthetic AF. This was before finding out they use cheap liquid cooling that'll leak after a year or so. Then I decided to learn how to install it myself but quickly saw that liquid cooling would cost more than the i3 6100 I've had my heart set on...and seemed pointless since I can't/wouldn't overclock the CPU anyway.

I've now convinced myself that air cooled computers can still look nice, but I'm having no luck finding an attractive CPU cooler for this i3. Newegg only shows like 10 of them for the 1151 socket, and I don't have the knowledge to know what will and will not work for this. (meaning, I'm not sure if you can safely use 1150 or other coolers for example)

The stock heatsink that comes with the i3 6100 is very ugly in my opinion and would ruin the whole look of the $200 case, black and red Motherboard, red RAM, and black and red GPU. What options are available for under $50 for this i3 6100 and do you guys personally care about stock CPU coolers being ugly?

The holes for socket 1156, 1155, 1150 and 1151 are all the same.

Maybe look into the Noctua NH-L9i? Intel's stock cooler includes a very high quality fan, even if the heatsink itself is small, and most cheap aftermarket coolers will actually be more noisy under idle and partial load - which is exactly when you'll be most likely to hear the PC, and where it spends most of its life. Noctua is one of the few manufacturers who include quality fans with their CPUs, but you pay for it.