Solved

Need help in building a Gaming , Workstation , CAD , Video rendering PC.

I'm actually planning on using an i7 6950X and 32GB of ram. I would also be running VMs and in case any were wondering , my budget is around $4000. The budget doesn't include keyboards , mouse , etc.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building gaming workstation cad video rendering
  1. When I see requests for $4000.00 builds, I get extremely skeptical. Can you provide a bit more information about your intended uses for this machine?

    Specific applications you will be running?

    Purpose of the VMs?

    What kind of video rendering? Hobby, professional studio, etc.?

    That kind of money demands a very specific intent, and in order to tailor the machine to that intent, we need to know exactly what you will be inclined to be needing to do on this.
  2. darkbreeze said:
    When I see requests for $4000.00 builds, I get extremely skeptical. Can you provide a bit more information about your intended uses for this machine?

    Specific applications you will be running?

    Purpose of the VMs?

    What kind of video rendering? Hobby, professional studio, etc.?

    That kind of money demands a very specific intent, and in order to tailor the machine to that intent, we need to know exactly what you will be inclined to be needing to do on this.


    I would be running Adobe Premiere Pro , Abode After Effects , Adobe Lightroom , LRTimelapse 4 , FL Studio 12 , VMware , etc.

    I'm a linux user and well as most know , we usually dual boot because we need certain proprietary software or services that are not yet available for Linux. Instead of going through the pain of dual booting, I can easily use a VM to run Windows. Additionally , as a linux user , it’s also important to be well versed with all major distros instead of being totally dependent on one.

    The video rendering part is more of like a hobby.

    I won't go into too much detail due to the rest being confidential.
  3. I understand. I don't think you need to spend the money on the 6950x for what you intend to do. The cost is double that of the 5930k and there is nothing you are doing that is going to make any use of the ten cores. Even the VM is unlikely to fully utilize the six cores and six hyperthreads of the 5930k. Still, if you feel you HAVE to have the higher end chip, you can always swap it in place of the 5930k, or as a medium solution simply go with the 5960x, although I think even that is probably overkill for your needs.

    Still, if you have money to burn and simply want to splurge while assuring yourself of an over the top system, you can do something like this.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($306.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($180.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.85 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.95 @ B&H)
    Total: $3055.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-19 12:48 EDT-0400


    Swapping the 5930k or 6950x for the 5960x will increase or reduce the price of the investment, although I honestly doubt that for what you you want to do it's going to change the expected performance by much. Overclocking on any of these will of course make a major difference and with this configuration you should be capable of a serious overclock using any of them.
  4. darkbreeze said:
    I understand. I don't think you need to spend the money on the 6950x for what you intend to do. The cost is double that of the 5930k and there is nothing you are doing that is going to make any use of the ten cores. Even the VM is unlikely to fully utilize the six cores and six hyperthreads of the 5930k. Still, if you feel you HAVE to have the higher end chip, you can always swap it in place of the 5930k, or as a medium solution simply go with the 5960x, although I think even that is probably overkill for your needs.

    Still, if you have money to burn and simply want to splurge while assuring yourself of an over the top system, you can do something like this.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.49 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($306.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($180.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.85 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.95 @ B&H)
    Total: $3055.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-19 12:48 EDT-0400


    Swapping the 5930k or 6950x for the 5960x will increase or reduce the price of the investment, although I honestly doubt that for what you you want to do it's going to change the expected performance by much. Overclocking on any of these will of course make a major difference and with this configuration you should be capable of a serious overclock using any of them.



    Alright then , thanks a lot for your help.

    I still have one question though , would it be better if the cpu cooler was water cooled?
  5. Nice build, though being X99 and with apps being run for 32GB I'd go 4x8GB to fully utilize the quad channel capabilities, will increase performance in many of the apps
  6. I just figured that expansion might be required due to the VMs, so best to allow them to make their own decision in that regard, but it could go either way. Not to disagree, but I've yet to see the quad channel be a huge loss over dual channel. Best to take your gains where you can get them though I so suppose.

    @Katherine, might want to listen to Jim, since he's the guy the experts ask when they have memory questions. And by experts I mean people at G.Skill, Corsair, etc.
  7. A 4 x 8GB kit is about the same price as a 2 x 16GB kit and that mboard has eight DIMM slots, if there is an upgrade in the future. Eight modules are tougher to overclock than four, but if you're not doing that, it shouldn't be a problem.
  8. darkbreeze said:
    I just figured that expansion might be required due to the VMs, so best to allow them to make their own decision in that regard, but it could go either way. Not to disagree, but I've yet to see the quad channel be a huge loss over dual channel. Best to take your gains where you can get them though I so suppose.

    @Katherine, might want to listen to Jim, since he's the guy the experts ask when they have memory questions. And by experts I mean people at G.Skill, Corsair, etc.


    Alright then, thanks a lot.
  9. Best answer
    So going that way, this might be the way to do it.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($999.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($87.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($306.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($229.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($180.49 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo ATX Full Tower Case ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.85 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.95 @ B&H)
    Total: $3080.21
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-20 23:06 EDT-0400
Ask a new question

Read More

Workstations Memory